INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Almost There...just need a bit more network help.  (Read 1497 times)

meurytv

• Recent member
Almost There...just need a bit more network help.
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:42:11 am »

Well i was finally able to see the Media Server on my WD Live TV but only if i have the Box hardwired to the network. 

It says -no media connected the second i unplug the fancy blue wire.

I have a NetGear Router WNDR3800 and went to the WAN Settings, but nothing there struck me as needed to be changed.

So I am guessing the answer is either in my windows 7 firewall, or my router settings...any ideas

thanks

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Almost There...just need a bit more network help.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:03:11 am »

Does the PC with Media Server have wifi?

When you unplug the network cable, do you have internet? If not, first configure Windows to work with your wifi, make sure internet works (meaning network over wifi works) and then you can try again.

Firewall could be the isssue, you could temporary disable it entirely.

Also, when you unplug the cable, Windows does not immediately switch over to wifi. To be sure all processes and running programs "see" and use the new network (wifi), just reboot. I know its overkill, but its quick and safe.

meurytv

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:34:52 am »

Yes it is connected to the wifi network and i am able to go to services and access netflix and the like.  so connecting to the actual wifi network is not the problem.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:50:07 am »

Perhaps multicast is disabled for wireless on your router?
This was the closest reference I could find.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8530667_enable-technology-netgear-wndr3300-router.html
You might want to check for something similar. It won't be in the wan settings. This assumes both the WD and PC are on the LAN/Wireless. When they are both on the LAN there's not likely to be any filtering going on however if one is wireless that's not necessarily the case.

Pages: [1]   Go Up