INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 conversion  (Read 2118 times)

yaska

MP3 conversion
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:09 am »

Converting mp3

please use newest lame and make it stereo not joint stereo

converting file at the same time sometimes failed, right now im using 1 but still sometimes failed converting at 1st file

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MP3 conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:52:26 am »

Welcome to the forums.

Lame is being updated with new versions or updates of the program. If you really need the latest, you can configure lame.exe as an external encoder and pass whatever command line options you need.

With the built in encoder, you can also pass custom command line switches, for instance if you don't want to use joint stereo for some reason.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 04:14:49 pm »

Regarding LAME Joint Stereo (the default mode) vs. forced L/R stereo: Joint Stereo does not reduce channel separation. It just automatically switches between the L/R and M/S stereo coding modes in order to produce best possible quality out of the available bitrate.

The M/S coding mode itself is lossless. It is just a different way to store the stereo audio channels. M/S coding can store more audio data in the same space whenever the two channels are not very different from each other. Depending on the source data either the L/R or M/S coding mode may be more efficient. This is why the LAME Joint Stereo mode can constantly switch between these two modes.

All popular lossless codecs can use the M/S stereo mode for reducing the resulting file size without affecting the quality anyhow (lossless is lossless).

In case of a lossy codec, this kind of Joint Stereo mode can produce better audio quality (or smaller files without reducing quality, depending on the used encoder and settings).

To JRiver: it would be good to update LAME. The version 3.97 is quite old. The latest "official" version is LAME 3.99.5. In my experience 3.99.5 is good and stable (though personally I still use 3.98.4 because I have not had a good reason to update). Updating the Lame encoder would not necessarily audibly improve quality, but at least no one would need to ask about updating it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:37:05 pm »

converting file at the same time sometimes failed, right now im using 1 but still sometimes failed converting at 1st file

I am not sure that I fully understand your problem. Could you please provide more information?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

yaska

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:16:59 pm »

I am not sure that I fully understand your problem. Could you please provide more information?

Option "Number of files to convert at the same time:"

if i set "8" converting 10 files, only 2 or 3 files get converted

so i set "1" but still some times first file not get converted or success converted but error ( 1st and 2nd track/music in 1st file )

another question... after analyze audio files wav.cue i get replay gain -11db, when i convert the file i get replay gain -5.5db  ? , is this bug?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:38:14 pm »

Option "Number of files to convert at the same time:"

if i set "8" converting 10 files, only 2 or 3 files get converted

so i set "1" but still some times first file not get converted or success converted but error ( 1st and 2nd track/music in 1st file )

I think you are encountering the same problem as a few others: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74614. I hope the JRiver developers can reproduce and fix the problem.

another question... after analyze audio files wav.cue i get replay gain -11db, when i convert the file i get replay gain -5.5db  ? , is this bug?

Are you checking the Replay Gain value of the converted file outside MC? If yes, then it is probably not a bug.

MC uses internally the original 83 dB reference level. JRiver was the first to implement Replay Gain in a player program over 10 years ago.

Later some other programs started to use the 89 dB reference level. To make the file tags compatible with these other programs the recent MC versions use a +/- 6 dB compensation when they read and write the Replay Gain tags. Though if the value inside MC is -11.0 dB, the actual file tag should be -5.0 dB (or very close to this value, in case a lossy encoder has altered the volume slightly), not -5.5 dB.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 02:42:06 pm »

To JRiver: it would be good to update LAME. The version 3.97 is quite old. The latest "official" version is LAME 3.99.5. In my experience 3.99.5 is good and stable (though personally I still use 3.98.4 because I have not had a good reason to update). Updating the Lame encoder would not necessarily audibly improve quality, but at least no one would need to ask about updating it.

Apologies, I thought I had read that Lame was being updated with new versions.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:34:24 pm »

Thanks for the reminder.

Next build:
Changed: Updated MP3 encoder to LAME 3.99.5.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

yaska

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:38:16 am »

my mistakes bout -11db and -5db  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up