INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v18 vs Sage  (Read 2727 times)

hEdly

• Recent member
v18 vs Sage
« on: October 03, 2012, 06:25:31 pm »

I'm kinda new to this forum.  I found it as I was searching for SageTV alternatives.  It seems that this software is the closest thing as a replacement to Sage.  I've basically got three questions before I try out MC

Is the "Live television on Library Server clients" listed in the MC18 Features thread basically how Sage server/client works?  It sounds like it.  If so, are individual licenses required for the server as well as each client?

Also, if I install JRiver on my HTPC which is running Sage and perform the migration, can I go back to running Sage?  I'd be OK with losing any TV shows that were recorded with JRiver during the testing period, but I just want to make sure it doesn't jack with any of the file structure thus rendering the Sage installation useless.
 - Yeah, I know I should use another PC, but just can't afford to buy another tuner right now to test it all out.

Lastly, the HTPC is using an AMD A6 processor with HDMI to our LCD.  Audio is currently analog out of the computer to an older Sony receiver (the other digital input on the receiver is used by the DVD player which we use occasionally).  but, I'm hoping to get a new receiver soon and go to HDMI.  Are there any issues (aside from the DSD Bitstreaming) that are being experienced?  Basically, will the digital sound on the HDMI be properly decoded on the receiver?

Thanks,

hEdly

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: v18 vs Sage
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:33:39 pm »

I'm kinda new to this forum.  I found it as I was searching for SageTV alternatives.  It seems that this software is the closest thing as a replacement to Sage.  I've basically got three questions before I try out MC

Is the "Live television on Library Server clients" listed in the MC18 Features thread basically how Sage server/client works?  It sounds like it.  If so, are individual licenses required for the server as well as each client?
You can use a single license of MC on several of your machines.  Thanks for asking.
Also, if I install JRiver on my HTPC which is running Sage and perform the migration, can I go back to running Sage?  I'd be OK with losing any TV shows that were recorded with JRiver during the testing period, but I just want to make sure it doesn't jack with any of the file structure thus rendering the Sage installation useless.
 - Yeah, I know I should use another PC, but just can't afford to buy another tuner right now to test it all out.
MC won't affect your current recordings.  Some people have used Sage to record and MC to play.  You might find more on the Sage board:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=24.0
Lastly, the HTPC is using an AMD A6 processor with HDMI to our LCD.  Audio is currently analog out of the computer to an older Sony receiver (the other digital input on the receiver is used by the DVD player which we use occasionally).  but, I'm hoping to get a new receiver soon and go to HDMI.  Are there any issues (aside from the DSD Bitstreaming) that are being experienced?  Basically, will the digital sound on the HDMI be properly decoded on the receiver?
Yes.

hEdly

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:21 pm »

Thanks Jim.  I'm surprised, happy and sad.

Surprised that they don't require us to purchase multiple licenses for multiple machines.  Maybe I'll just do it to be a good steward if the product works as hoped.

Happy because it looks like I have a new project.

Sad...because it looks like I have a new (or call it "another") project.  ;)

R/hEdly

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:35:58 pm »

Surprised that they don't require us to purchase multiple licenses for multiple machines.

FYI, "they" is JimH.  He's the president/owner of JRiver.  It has been their (very generous) policy forever to allow you to use your license on all your machines (within reason).  Feel free to give them/him more money if you want, but it's not necessary.

Be sure to post any questions you have along the way.  MC isn't perfect, but it's very good.  It's so powerful that it can be complicated to do exactly what you want, but the users in this forum are wonderfully helpful in helping you get there.

I think you're really going to enjoy the ride :)
pretend this is something funny

hEdly

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:45:32 am »

Jim,
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I've gone through most of the posts (well, I think all of them now) on the Sage boards.  I just kinda wanted to hear it from from the developers.  You know, to get a better warm and fuzzy.

Justin,
Thanks, too, for your reply; yeah, I've seen Jim all over the boards.  It's awesome to have someone like that active on the boards like this.  I've also seen familiar handles here from the Sage forums which shows that JMRC does seem to be increasing in popularity for the HTPC (10ft view) usage (Theater view I think).  It looks like almost all the features of that software are captured pretty well.  Plus, since DLNA is used it opens up using other set top boxes.  Hopefully this software will continue to develop that front end mode and take over that share of the market.

It also seems that the software has some other features that are easier to implement (remote control from tablets/phones, DVD metadata and fanart).  I'm sure many of the Sage folks will take me to task over those; particularly the metadata.  I tried to set it up once, but I just couldn't get it to work reliability.  I'm a techie and I'm on a computer 8 hours a day.  When I get home I just want stuff to work or not require too much additional hacking and modifications.  Hopefully MC will be like this.

Audio zones are something that I am really interested in.

Anyway, I'm not expecting perfection; as I've seen from these forums there are still plenty of issues.  But I also see that this is a product that continues to be developed.  It also has a very strong presence in the audiophile world.

Just got to get the wife on board.  If I can get another tuner then I can set up a client and server and see how things go.

Y'all have a great night.

R/hEdly

NickF

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:19:01 am »

When you set up the TV on MC, read the guidance on the JRiver wiki here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Read the topics on Television and TV Guide or EPG.

It's a bit messy setting it up but, once done it works well.

I'm not a Sage user but have used Windows Media Center.  It was necessary to turn off a couple of WMC processes to ensure that the tuners were available to MC.  Check whether there is something similar for Sage.

Good luck.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

hEdly

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »

Thanks for the thread link Nick.  I remember that some Sage users who turned on WindowsMC has some problems afterward.  I've never run it on my HTPC or server so I should be OK.

I've perused the jriver site and wiki a bit and I find that the manual is lacking a bit.  Especially as this product matriculates into the HTPC market.  Many folks in that crowd just was an easy setup without a lot of extra tweaking.  Even I have lately been finding myself getting irritated with my current Sage installation because I'd rather spend time with my wife and kid than trying to figure out why some DVD's hosted on the server are crashing the program when played.

While there are a lot of topics on the wiki, some of it I say, "OK, but why would I want to do that?  What does that feature actually do for me?"  Some of it is related to the audiophile side and related to the player/burner/ripper side (which is really cool to have by the way).

There almost needs to be a step-wise installation and feature enabling guide for the "new to JRiver crowd" but also a little more advanced than the absolute newbie.

Anyway, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.  I'm asking for something that I may not need.  Since I haven't installed the program and tired to get it up and running yet, I don't even know what I don't know yet.  Once I run into a wall you all can bet I'll come humbly asking for assistance.  Maybe I'll keep some notes and help to write that guide.

R/hEdly
Pages: [1]   Go Up