INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android Gizmo with v18  (Read 2066 times)

DMHolman

• Recent member
Android Gizmo with v18
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »

I searched but couldn't find this problem in the forum.  If it has been addressed, can you someone toss me the link?

Has something changed drastically between v17 and v18 that effects the Gizmo app for Android?  When I play music, there is a 45-60 second delay as the first song is "Preparing".  Once that song plays and the next one is set to start, I can have anywhere from :30 to 2:30 of dead time before the song begins (it also shows "preparing"). 

With v17, there was no long delay between when one song ended and the next one started.  Anyone seeing this or know the cause?

Thanks.

-Donald

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Android Gizmo with v18
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:16:58 pm »

I don't think there are any changes that may have caused that.  Conversion settings?

DMHolman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »

Jim -

I had Audio set to "no conversion" under Media Network > Client Options.  I switched that to a low bandwidth MP3 conversion and it was the same.  I'll try playing with settings over the next day or so to see if that helps.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »

Could you try picking different qualities in Gizmo itself under 'Settings'?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DMHolman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 04:08:16 pm »

Matt & Jim -

I started with Matt's request.  I changed the audio quality from 128kbps that was set to 320kbps in Gizmo to see what would happen.  On my home wifi, time between when a song is called up and when it starts dropped to around 1 second.  Switching my phone off wifi, it takes about 3 seconds for a song to come up.  WAY better than the :30-2:30 it was taking. 

The odd part is, watching my server before I made the change, it's not like the conversion was taking that long.  When I started a song, there was an increase in my CPU usage to about 60-70% for about 5 seconds or so, then a couple blips on my network (around 2.5% on a 1gbps graph) then you could sit there and watch Gizmo say it was preparing.  Not sure what it was doing during that time because my server was pretty much idling at that point.

As a test, I switched it down to 64kbps and it takes a lot longer to start playing than 320kbps.  So the conversion is a factor in the slowdown, but all the time isn't being taken by that (looking at processor usage).  The thing that is interesting is that at 64kbps, the time it takes to start playing is actually shorter than 128kbps.  Random sampling, 64kbps takes about 10x longer to start playing than 320kbps.  128kbps takes about 15-20 times longer to start playing than 320kbps.

If it's that the processor is struggling to convert, you'd think it would max out my CPU instead of just going to 60-70% for a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up