INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver for OSX ?  (Read 16774 times)

sieges

• Recent member
JRiver for OSX ?
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:10:32 pm »

Hello to everyone. I'm here for the first time via an audiophile music server mentioned JRiver in the description. In Google, there were a number of references to JRiver announcing an OSX version in Late 2010 or so.I'm virtually 100% OSX although I do have Parallels 8 on my IMAC 27 inch Quad core.I FREAKIN HATE Itunes. between its' AIFF,MP# ,NO FLAC POLICY, to its' 25,ooo song max. for itunes match cloud, they have absolutely no regard for people that actually LISTEN to their music.

If there is NO program for OSX users, can someone who is an OSX/MAC junkie but walk on the wild side for this program only. Are you using BootCamp or Parallels etc. ?

I have a terrific tube based DAC connected to my IMAC, so I can listen to FLAC files the way the are meant to be. I would appreciate a response from a staff member, or someone that "crossed-over" ....and was glad he did.

Mike Siegel
New Jersey

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver for OSX ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:27:30 am »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums!

JRiver is committed to releasing a Mac OS X version in the future, but as far as I know there is no release date known. JimH confirms this here. That thread may contain some info relevant for you as well.

If you search the forums a bit you will find more threads about running in Parallels or VMware Fusion. You can run MC in a VM, but Bootcamp might be a better option because (at least theoretically) it offers better sound quality. The reason is that in your guest OS you might configure it for bitperfect transport etc, but Fusion and Parallels will not bypass the OS mixer on the host. Wether you can hear it or not is an entirely different discussion though ;).

Also note that your mileage may vary with regards to video performance. Several important features like matching refresh rate to the movie fps doesn't work well (or not at all) in a VM, as well as certain hardware accelleration features might not be available. I'm not exactly sure on all the details but just keep in mind you may run into some trouble.

The safest and best performing option here is running Windows 7 via Bootcamp. But whether you want to reboot all the time between the 2 OS's is up to you.

Or, if you really feel rebellious you could Run Windows 7 as your main OS and run OS X in Vmware  ;D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up