INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is Cover Art from iTunes database?  (Read 10885 times)

rustuk

• Recent member
Where is Cover Art from iTunes database?
« on: October 07, 2012, 08:17:39 am »

Having discovered JRiver Media Jukebox I imported the contents of my iTunes music library and everything works fine except that the Cover Art is missing in the Album Thumbnails view. How can I get it back. I know it is there because my Sonos system displays it from the same library database.

Today I ripped three albums to MJ and scanned in the three covers. These I add by "Add from file" in the Cover Art dialogue box. Of the three jpg files only one has appeared in the Album Thumbnails view with no sign of the other two. I have restarted MJ twice to no avail and I note that these two covers do not appear in Sonos.

These two problems may be related but I would like both solved.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Where is Cover Art from iTunes database?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:30:18 am »

Try to use the command "Quick find in the file / Cover art directory" under the Cover art option when right clicking the albums. This might find some missing cover art.
Also make sure you do a full cover art rebuild before you start browsing. It's done in the background otherwise, and it can take a few hours, depending on the number of albums and videos.
This option is located under Tree & View -> Thumbanils -> Build Missing Thumbnails.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

rustuk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:33:19 am »

Thanks but "Quick find in file" does not work. I have already tried it and just tried again. A window opens telling me that it is updating the files but no cover art subsequently appears.

Where is "Tree & View". Whatever tree I am in no thumbnail option appears under "View" I have tried rebuilding thumbnails for individual folders with no result.

Under "options" cover art points to the original iTunes "Album Artwork" folder.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:01:10 am »

Tree & View is under Options. Most options are :)
There's been some changes in how cover art is stored. How is the albums named and where are they stored?

rustuk

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 07:36:34 am »

But some like the "Cover art option" appear under "Quick find the file" when you right click the album.

Anyway, thanks. I found "Tree & View" and set MJ to "Build Missing Thumbnails". It took 41 seconds apparently for 10,896 files. Still nothing.

To add to the mystery, the files that I added yesterday through right click -> Cover Art -> Add from file have disappeared from the folder from which I added them.

My music library is on a NAS drive and is the original iTunes folder with all its iTunes bits. There are two sub-folders "Lossless Music Files" and "Album Artwork". The "Album Artwork" contains 17 image files for some of the artwork that is visible in album view and two sub-folders "Download" and "Local" each of which includes a nest of sub-folders with numbers for names.

As I said Sonos finds all the cover art on the NAS including one that I added yesterday but not the other two. Incidentally, the one that is visible in MJ and Sonos is still in the original folder too!

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:56:38 am »

This is a library server client or a standalone client? If it's a client connected to a server, all cover art will be discarded from the client. The changes have to be done on the server. You could try to add the cover art files to the MC cover art directory. Search for cover art in options to find the appropriate place. This folder should contain sub directories like Album, Artist, Series and a few others. If you put a few pictures here to test, and name the cover art in a specific way (is it Artist - Album.jpg? can't verify it here), it might be picked up by MC if you do a quick find command on it.

rustuk

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:34:39 am »

OK. There are two issues here. The first, old one, is the whereabouts of the Cover Art from the iTunes database. All the covers are there in Sonos but not in Jukebox. This has been ongoing for a year or so and I have never got to the bottom of it. Let's call this the iTunes problem.

The second is more recent as in this weekend or Friday. In the exact same session on the computer I scanned three images which I saved to the usual folder. One of those images imported into MJ as Cover Art with no problem. It is still there today in MJ and the original folder. The other two did not make it into MJ, at least not visibly, are not visible in Sonos and have disappeared from the original folder. This I call the Jukebox problem.

My computer setup has not changed in the last 6 months. The NAS drive acts as a server with both the music library and the folder into which I save scanned images in separate directories. This is connected to a gigabit ethernet switch to which are connected my PC, another two computers and two printers plus a NAS backup drive. MJ is on my PC. The switch is connected to a router to which the Sonos system is also connected.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:38:13 am »

I take that as you have no server/client setup. If you talk about your library on a NAS drive here, people will be confuses. In the MC world a library is the collection of meta data in Media Center. The media it self is just that. Media on a disk somewhere.

Please do what I asked before we raise more questions. Figure out what your cover art settings are, and try to use the naming convention from MC to see if it that works. Then we can start figuring out what you do that breaks the MC cover art "import". You can try to use the right click command "Get from Internet" to retrieve cover art that you're 100% sure will use the MC way of dealing with cover art. Figure out where it's placed and what name it uses. Most, if not all cover art options can be found by writing "cover" in search in Options.

rustuk

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:05:48 am »

Sorry, I thought that I had and that these are still the same questions. I am using MJ not MC, does that make a difference? The only place that I find the "Get from internet" option is a checkbox under Ripping. Nothing on right click in Album view.

Cover Art settings in MJ are:

File Location -> Cover Art
In a specified folder
Folder: O:\Album Artwork\
Also store image in the file's tag

Library & Folders -> Auto-Import Folders -> Options -> Get cover art

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 03:17:29 am »

Sorry. Did not notice what forum I wrote in :) MJ is am old version, compared to the state of MC18. I do not know what features that are missing there. So, you're saying that "Get from internet" under Cover Art options when right clicking with an album selected is nowhere to be found? I thought that was an old feature.

Sorry, I can not help you much more here. It's been years since I've touch this. I would recommend going for MC18. It's gotten a lot of nice features since MJ. Cover art handling have also been redone.

rustuk

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 03:24:39 am »

Well, Mr Haugen, that is why they used to tell us at school to read the question before trying to answer it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up