INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play 5.1 flac  (Read 5528 times)

dacaesar

• Recent member
Play 5.1 flac
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:41 pm »

Greetings,

This is my first post to the forum.  Thanks in advance for any help here.  I have some multiple channel (5.1) audio files.  When I play them in the MediaCenter they output to 2.0.  I know they can be recognized as "multiple pcm", as when I play them via XMBC, my receiver actually displays Multiple PCM as opposed to 2.o PCM.  Any thoughts?   

Thanks again!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Play 5.1 flac
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:58:39 pm »

Greetings,

This is my first post to the forum.  Thanks in advance for any help here.  I have some multiple channel (5.1) audio files.  When I play them in the MediaCenter they output to 2.0.  I know they can be recognized as "multiple pcm", as when I play them via XMBC, my receiver actually displays Multiple PCM as opposed to 2.o PCM.  Any thoughts?   

Thanks again!

Hi dacaesar,

Go to Tools, Options, Audio. Check which Output Mode you have selected and it's Output Mode Settings. Specifically check for number of channels.

Go to Tools, Options, Audio, DSP & Output Format. Check 'Channels'. It should either be on 'Source Number Of Channels' or '5.1 Channels'. While there look around at some of the other capabilities. Also go to Tools, Options, File Types and be sure that FLAC is set to 'YES'.

Please let us know if anything helped.

Rod

dacaesar

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

Hi dacaesar,

Go to Tools, Options, Audio. Check which Output Mode you have selected and it's Output Mode Settings. Specifically check for number of channels.

Go to Tools, Options, Audio, DSP & Output Format. Check 'Channels'. It should either be on 'Source Number Of Channels' or '5.1 Channels'. While there look around at some of the other capabilities. Also go to Tools, Options, File Types and be sure that FLAC is set to 'YES'.

Please let us know if anything helped.

Rod

Thanks Rod,

This kinda worked, but not really.  I can get it to play DD 5.1 using Direct, but it's not really the same as Multiple PCM which is what I think these files are natively.  It does not sound anywhere as good and true as when I play them through XMBC.  The multiple channels are truly interpreted when played that way. >:(

Thanks again

Dave 

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:39:43 pm »

What kind of files are they? Nwboater mentions Flac, but I don't see that in your original post anywhere?

I can't help but repeat Nwboater ...

How is your pc hooked up to your receiver? s/pdif, coax, analog, hdmi? Under Options, Audio, make sure Audio Output is set to the correct device. I suggest using Wasapi evnt style.

In DPS & Output format, check Output format on the left (otherwise its not active) and check Channels is set to original or 5.1. Mixing can be set to JRSS, but to test you can try and turning it off (no up or downmixing).

Although you can change settings during playback, certain features require playback to be stopped (not pause). Make sure nothing is playing or paused.

Next, try to play something. Hover your mouse over the DSP icon in the upper right corner (EQ sign). Look at Audio Path, Input, Changes and Output.

If you fail at getting it to work, please let us know what each setting is set to and what type of file it is you're trying to play.

dacaesar

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »

Hi,

Yes, the file is a flac. The PC is hooked up via HDMI.  I've tried the WASABI evnet and otherwise.  I've set the output to "source number of channels", and bit reate as source bit rate.  With that I get the error "Playback could not be started. The output format may not be supported by your hardware.  I know this isn't the case, as I've played it with other software.  It's a DVD-A I've ripped. 

Thanks!

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:43:19 pm »

What is the bitdetph of the file you are trying to play?
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

dacaesar

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:53:26 pm »

?What is the bitdetph of the file you are trying to play?"

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 02:53:38 pm »

Oke, set output mode to wasapi event style, in DSP Output format, set to 5.1 channels, JRSS v2.0 surround sound mixing. Leave subwoofer at the default JRSS 60Hz lowpass. Set bitdepth to 24-bits.

It could still give message that playback is not supported, that could be the sample rate. I don't know what the sample rate of the Flac file is that youre trying to play but if the message still pops up, SR can be changed in the sample rate table. Set the input (the source file) to what your receiver supports. For example, if the file is 88,2Khz and your receiver does not support that but it does support 96Khz, choose to resample 88.200 Hz to 96.000 Hz.

I can't think of anything else, except that the file is somehow different from a standard Flac file which prevents MC to play it properly.

dacaesar

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:02 am »

Thanks again,

I've tried everything, and it still can only play 2 Channel.  I wouldn't have even picked up on this, if was wasn't so astoundingly better in XMBC.  I don't have very many of these files, so if I want to play them I can always switch to the other application.  I just thought it would be nice to use MC for all my listening.  Most of the time, I use MC to play 2 channel analog using an external DAC anyway.

Dave

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:06:04 am »

Are you able to upload a 30 second sample?

dacaesar

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:06:57 pm »

Would you have a suggestion for the best software to use to extract an accurate sample?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 01:30:57 am »

To be honest, I don't know  :-[

I posted too quickly and didn't think of it, but I'm not even sure its possible without decoding to wav first, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Sorry ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up