INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping Tag data when copying file to another PC  (Read 1004 times)

Gwilson

• Junior Woodchuck
Keeping Tag data when copying file to another PC
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »

I use one PC to rip and then copy the new file to my media server.  Today I ripped a 2 CD set and when I viewed it in MC17 on the ripping PC I noticed that 1 of the discs had no year entered.  I like the albums sorted by year under the album artist - helps me to see progression of artists' skills.  So in MC17 on the ripping PC I entered the year and everything was as I wished.  Then when I transferred these 2 discs to my media server the year was again missing on the aforementioned disc.  I studied the entries in the Help section and found the Year field could not be among those selected for ""store in file tags (when possible)".  Since I generally make tag corrections only on the server (find mistakes while actually playing a file) I am concerned that if I have a hard drive failure ( I just had 1 of my backups fail 3 days ago) on the media server itself I will lose all these fields like year, where I have entered a correction that is not stored in file tags.  Am I correct that currently there is no way to save this year in the original file tag when I make the correction through MC17?  Any way around this?

Thanks,
Glynn Wilson

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Keeping Tag data when copying file to another PC
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 02:37:57 pm »

Hi Glynn,

The [Year] value actually comes from the [Date] field; [Year] is an abbreviation for [Date (year)], and is a calculated field culled from [Date].  [Date] is stored in tags by default.

MC will update, by default, tags in files, from the values you enter in the library.  When you update Date or [Date (year)], MC will soon update the tags in the files.  (This is controlled by the "Update tags when file info changes" setting in Options or under the Edit menu.)

The update process runs in the background, and is usually pretty quick.  You can also force updates by using Library Tools > Update tags (from Library).

The MC library can also be backed up.  It is  backed up automatically every couple of days, but you can perform a manual backup.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Gwilson

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Keeping Tag data when copying file to another PC
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 04:49:57 pm »

Sweet.  I am slowly learning how to make this beast do what I want.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up