INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Setup up problems over wireless  (Read 4983 times)

meurytv

• Recent member
DLNA Setup up problems over wireless
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:32:31 pm »

WD Live TV in 2nd bedroom.  It can see and play videos from JRIver with it is connected to the router over wired, but for the life of me I cannot get this to work over a wireless connections.

I have confirmed that i can go to Youtube and watch videos on the WD over wireless.  I just cannot access the JRiver. 

When it is connected via wired, i can confirm that i can see WD in the playlist on JRiver. 

I have completely turned off my firewall and restarted the HTPC that JRiver lives on and still nothing.

So I am thinking the problem has to be in my router...don't you think.  The router is the Netgear WNDR3800.

Any ideas.

Thanks

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: DLNA Setup up problems over wireless
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:14 pm »

Is it possible you are connected to the WNDR3800's guest network, and therefore not able to see your LAN devices?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

meurytv

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:57:30 pm »

Well i figured it out.  After searching all the advanced setting in the router and starting and restarting and turning on and off firewalls, i decided to check out the "basic" settings  ON the Netgear 3800 (at least) there is check box for called 'wireless isolation'  DUH i thought.  This needs to be in a tip or something on the wiki as it appears this is a common router and/or i would imagine this is a common setting in these newer gbit routers. 

Now the next problem  I was able to see the JRiver DLNA server, and see my videos, but jesus it takes forever them to buffer and play.  The router is only a few feet away (the door way and wall placement makes it difficult to fish wire).  I imagine the problem is because the WD (third generation) only can see and receive  2.4ghz and the movies are generally good quality.  Thinking maybe the WD maybe not be the right solution for wireless.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:09:37 am »

I've never heard of "Wireless isolation", and I've seen my share of router settings. First thing on the agenda when you want to do network things is to either get a non-retarded router, or preferably a wireless access point. Which most people SHOULD get. Not a full blown router. If you have not done that, you should go through the admin console on the device to check for odd settings. Oh, there's so many bad routers out there with strange settings.

When it comes to buffering, it might just be that your computer is not that fast. The server probably do on the fly conversion of the video, and that is quite demanding. Try to set the conversion settings to a lower quality, and see if that makes any difference.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:35:32 am »

Wireless isolation prevents wireless clients from seeing each other and other Ethernet devices on the LAN.  It typically isn't offered in cheaper appliances, as home users don't need it.  It is a very nice feature for families that have rogue kiddies connecting to the net.

The Netgear WNDR3800 is a fine appliance and has earned praise and high marks.

Few consumers purchase standalone access points, and almost all consumer wireless appliances available today are a combination of access point / router / switch and often bridge.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

BillyBoyBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:50:24 am »

I have WD Live TV myself and a Netgear 3700 wireless router and the two get along fine as far as almost 50 feet apart and actually a floor seperating them. I have about 8 wireless devices on my network and the only two that sometimes act up are my ASUS Transformer tablet and of all things my WiFi enable elliptical bike. Both at times either just drop the connection or refuse to connect at all. A series of reboots of either/and the device and router seems to cure the problem. I've called Netgear so much on this issue I'm on a first name basis with their "techs", but aside from suggesting to change channels, move location of router and other meaningless suggestions (channels 6 and 11 seem to work best for me), the connection problem presists.

As far as WD Live studdering, I haven't seen it. I've streaming both commerical and home made vid which I encoded as MPEG-2 files at a bitrate of 9 megabits and they play fine off the network.

meurytv

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:09:51 am »

Well i have been able to get it to work after removing the Generic DLNA and restarting and adding a new one.   I can now watch Movies and Shows on The WD via wireless.  Is there a setting in The DLNA that i should use to optimize the streaming.  I currently have conversion set to never.  Other than that it is the default Generic setting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up