INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zevele10 - Off Topic  (Read 1782 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Zevele10 - Off Topic
« on: April 20, 2002, 07:33:46 am »

Is there a topic? Just being safe, I guess.

Tell me the big deal about "180 gram virgin vinyl" records. I saw them available on www.Duffelbag.com
You have mentioned them before. Tell me more.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

RE:Zevele10 - Off Topic
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2002, 07:59:04 am »

Not easy answer as you have many of them
You have the Sundazed and BeatRockers[?] who are not that  much fantastic.I do not mean not good.But,concerning the Byrds,to the point to think twice.A lp with only few extra songs or a cd with a lot of extra songs?I do know some idiot who got lp and cd
The main deal is to get 180 grs from analog tapes,AND NOT,like Exile on the ..and Sticky Fingers from digital remix.If you have only old edition of Hendrix,in this case get one 180grs lp for a try.I have to say that even the cd will let you open mouth
The best are from England.There is the Simply Vinyl  label.The most FANTASTIC ones are the EMI .Jethro Tull,REM,Pistols.The problem is that they may cost a lot in US.There is an US label also,i just do not remember the name.They do not exist anymore.If you read Goldmine or Discovery they had a lot of publicity few years ago.The lps are just fantastic,but they have the big logo of the label on the sleeve.I will have a look at my shelves and tell you they name latter
I had a look at Duffelbag but did not see any 180 grs lps section.Let me know wich ones you saw,i may be of some help

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2002, 08:05:19 am »

Sorry,i did not answer you question
To make short.Get a good 180 grs lp version of a record you like and you have on lp since long and cd since few years
Play the lp.You will feel you have a new stereo,much better than the one you have and you will have the feeling to have listening to this records from the toilets at the other side of the house,or on a small radio for years
Or,like to play a record washing dishes and to play the same record  loud sit in front of the speakers and stoned

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2002, 10:55:30 am »

There is apparently not a section for that but there should be. They should allow a search for media type as well as artist and title.
Here's an example of what I found:

BOB DYLAN
Street Legal

More Info..   Our Price: $11.99
CD - CUTOUT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOB DYLAN
Street Legal (180 Gram Virgin Vinyl)

Our Price: $14.99
VINYL - CUTOUT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JIMI HENDRIX
Are You Experienced (180 gram-Ltd. Edition)

Our Price: $28.99
VINYL - CUTOUT

JIMI HENDRIX
Axis: Bold As Love (180 gram-Ltd. Edition)

Our Price: $18.99
VINYL - CUTOUT
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2002, 11:13:14 am »

I am ready to make a deal
If you have only an old album of hendrix,or an old cd.Buy one on 180 grs.If you do not see any difference,I WILL SEND YOU THE PRICE OF THE LP and the postage
Are you experienced is 2 lps.On the second lp you get all the singles
hey joe,stone free,perple haze,and so on
Deal made in front of of the millions people on this forum
They are not cut out,look at the bottom of the text

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2002, 03:07:12 pm »

There's something that I don't understand yet. What would happen if you recorded a 180 gram vinyl on to your computer, creating a WAV file. Would the resulting digital file sound worse than the source because it's digital? I'm not trying to be obtuse and I'm not doubting your word about sound quality, I'm just trying to understand "Why?".
C8
That's right.
I'm cool.

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2002, 03:29:40 pm »

It all comes dowm to what sounds good and what doesn't

In general Vinyl sounds better - but you must have a decent turntable/cartridge and phono amp to appreciate it.

A standard Vinyl Album weighs about 120g - Some of the High Q labels can cut Vinyl onto 180 Grams.

The difference being that they are thicker and can take more of a cut than a standard 120g album. Also they are less likely to warp etc.

Albums come just like CD's in good bad and ugly. 180g is no gaurantee of quality. But its unlikely that they would press it on 180 if it was crap.

Anyway compared to the CD/Digital stuff we listen to - just to give you and idea of what you really need to appreciate Vinyl is.

Turntable = $500 minimum
Arm - $300 minimum
Phono Stage = $500 minimum

Oh Yeah then you need an Amp and speakers just like you use for your CD just now. Plus you have to get up every 20mins to change sides. (No remote Control)

So after all the expence and all the effort to play a Real Vinyl album - does it actually sound better.

YES IT DOES

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2002, 03:48:30 pm »

The part I'm having trouble with is that if the source is of a higher quality, if you have the gear to convert that superior source to an analogue signal so you can hear it, that signal is also able to be captured exactly as you hear it digitally and replayed digitally as an exact copy of the analogue source that we started with. The only other piece of equipment necessary is a high quality sound card. It plays back through the same chain that converted it in the first place. What am I missing?

C8
That's right.
I'm cool.

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2002, 04:05:32 pm »

Okay.

Vinyl  - traces a constant analogue signal.
CD breaks it up into samples - one 16bit sample every 41Khz

That means for a complete 20khz sinewave - you only get 2 samples - try recreating that from 2 dots.

The problem with digital music is not sampling the original source  - but putting the digital signal back to analogue. Theres lots of signal missing and computers have to fill in the bits in between.

Now if we sampled the original source at lets say 32bit at a sample rate of 96 khz then we might get a little bit closer. but then that might take up a bit more disk space.

Lets be really wild and lets say we sample using 128bit at 512khz - Now your talking.

Maybe you could actually hear the differnce between Ripped Vinyl and CD.

Problem here is that 1 hour of music would need - (#### Loads)

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2002, 04:48:21 pm »

Mikeh
Now you've started to make some sense to me. Thanks for 'splainin'.
A specific but understandable nuts-and-bolts answer. I like that.

Zevele,
No need to make that offer but I do appreciate it. I'll try one. $25 to $30 for an album? Sounds like an RIAA dream.
What can you tell me about Jimi Hendrix - "Bold as Love"?
Have you ever been to this site?
http://www.simplyvinyl.com
C8
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2002, 08:42:56 am »

Mikev
You can buy a Porsche or Ferari to go to the mail get bread and coca.........
The world best turnable in price /quality is from UK Rega, 400 hundred english pounds.
All ,cause everything is in one piece,arm and head.
If you want to be really smart ,there is one at 1200 english pounds
Spending much is for  punk[us meaning] who just speak about his gear but do not listen to music
Concerning better sound with vinyl and fantastic sound with SOME 180 grs,you do not need even the Rega turnable.Any good Rotel-Lenco-and brands of this kind are ok

Karolus
AXis Bold as Love is $18.Are you Experienced is more cause it is a double lp.One bonus lp with the singles

I have many Simply Vinyl.This will cost you quitte a lot with postage
How good is a 180 grs depends also to with point the original was SmerdeT.
It seems that it was the case with Hendrix.If you buy only the cd-the new edition- comparing to any lp and cd fisrt edition will see you really wondering to which point they just SmerdeT on artists and us.
If you buy one Hendrix on vinyl and you do not have it in cd,i will put the album on mp3 192,sleeve,lyrics on Audiogalaxy,in a private forum,you will have acces to it ,even if songs are blocked
Listening to REM  -Document on 180grs vinyl

Also the vinyl for 180grs is new.Not coming to old lps or any other surplus

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2002, 09:51:34 am »

Zevele,
I think I'll stick with Duffelbag.com. They have been very agreeable on some recent purchases, they are a local company, and they have the best selection I have found anywhere. I am very seriously considering a try at 180 gram Hendrix. I have CD's of almost everything Hendrix that I could find.
Back in 1968 (or so, who can remember exactly) I was dating a girl that lived in a sort of upscale neighborhood just outside of Nasville, Tennessee (where I grew up). One of her friends gave me a couple of albums that her father, an RCA executive, gave her that had been sent to him as promotional albums. He wasn't interested and she wasn't interested and so she offered them to me. I had never heard of them but I took them because they were free and who knew, I might like them. Those two albums were Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love and Janis Joplin - Cheap Thrills. Needless to say, from that point forward my life changed. Whether it was the new music, the changing times or my sister's friend from California that introduced me to a different lifestyle and a different means of "entertainment" or a combination of everything, things were very different from that point onward. Sometimes for the good and sometimes not so much.
I still have both albums along with Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced that I went out and bought.
Back then, the RIAA was a non-profit organization dedicated to the standardization of recording quality. The "good guys". An album could most likely contain ALL good songs and absolutely zero SmerdeT. They also (the record companies) thought that there was no money in hippie music. It wasn't long after that that they got "smarter" and started keeping back the good songs in order to sell more records. The recording techniques got sloppier and the prices started going up. The RIAA slowly became what we know today: A cartel of record companies that, as a combined group, are a bigger monopoly than AT&T or Microsoft ever was.
Okay, I'm done. Sorry about the tangent. Just my particular soapbox. We all have weaknesses.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2002, 11:16:46 am »

Cheap Trills was,on an other post in the list of my  10 albums of my life.......
I found it in 180 grs also.But i have the cd as well,cause you can trip the whole album with no break
BUT CHEAP TRILLS IS A RECORD BY BIG BROTHER COMPANY.At this time the singer was Janis Joplin
It is not the wiser thing they do...................to take this singer
In spite of it,this record is a monster
I really like Duffelbag,Miles of Music is good as well.A really SmerdeT is OOP=Out Of Print.
Never ever try to buy from them

Listening more or less to french tv. I am sick for my father,the day he is comming back!

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2002, 04:21:38 pm »

Big Brother and the Holding Company was not the greatest band in the world. Some of the music in "Cheap Thrills" is only acceptable because JJ was singing. I saw them after at the park in town ... not so great. However, the Kosmic Blues Band wasn't better. They were better musicians but some sort of chemistry was missing. I never much liked any Janis Joplin after Big Brother. There were brief moments of former glory but never a whole song with the power of "Ball & Chain" or "I Need a Man to Love Me" or even "Summertime". After her success, she never achieved the soul-stirring performance that was evident in "Cheap Thrills".

It is good that you have such a relationship with your father. My father and I were never very close but we should have been.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2002, 04:41:28 pm »

Never say they been the greater band on earth The album Cheap trills is a monument of acid rock.A fake live by the way.It is a mix of many live tapes with the band playing on it
I don't care about Janis J
For me the music on this album is great IN SPITE of JJ.The guitar are fantastic

In all my life i had only one argument with my father.When he had a look at the William Burrougth books he got for me.He had  kind of books,school furnitures shops and printing section
He printed this F### hollidays exercise  books.You allways have to do an exercise before you go to beach.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up