INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio and JRSS channel mixing  (Read 1590 times)

Tiwiliger

DSP Studio and JRSS channel mixing
« on: October 10, 2012, 01:42:24 am »

Hi, have two issues that need help with, one for each media center in the two different rooms I have them in.

First off, the one media center is connected to a normal tv going off the standard TV speakers. If i set the channel output to 2 channels and set the mixing to JRSS, when a 5.1 channel movie is down-mixed, the dialogue (i.e. center channel) is too low compared to the louder scenes that occur, resulting in me having to shuffle the volume up and down throughout the whole movie. I have resorted to setting the channels to "source number of channels" and manually mixing all the channels with the parametric equalizer including boosting the center channel by approximately 2-3dB and then adding it to the left and right channels. Is there a more elegant solution to this problem? If not, could an option be added to the JRSS mixing that allows the user to input any gain they require for the center channel before JRSS does the mixing (i.e. simply boosting the center channel by the user variable before the mixing algorithm is applied).

My second scenario is that I have bought some 5.1 speakers for the the other (main) tv I have setup with a media center. Due to the configuration of the room I may not be able to install the 2 surround speakers so will essentially be left with a 3.1 setup (left, center and right speaker with a subwoofer). There is no such option in the channels option where it is either 2.1, 4 or 5.1 channels with 4 channels I am assuming being left, right and the 2 surrounds. As a result, I believe I have to either leave it on "source number of channels" and basically just leave out the two surrounds (and rears if it is a 7.1 source) or I manually mix them in to the left and right channel using the parametric equalizer. Once again, is there an more elegant solution for this or are these my only options? I would greatly prefer JRSS to handle the mixing so could another 3.1 "Channels" option be added for JRSS to handle?

Regards
Tiwiliger

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP Studio and JRSS channel mixing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:44:09 am »

That's the reason for the parametric eq, to be able to set up things as you want  :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Tiwiliger

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:44:41 am »

True, but I'm sure JRSS would do a much finer job mixing the channels so that they sound more in proportioned as opposed to me mixing in the channels and hazarding a guess as to what gain levels they should be (why else is it the recommended option? why not just have the parametric equalizer and that's it?). JRSS has a whole bunch of mixing options for most situations, my only suggestions is that:
 1) add a center channel gain variable so that each person can put their personal preference before JRSS does its thing and avoid the volume dance every time someone talks and
 2) Expand JRSS mixing options for one more...3.1 so that JRSS handles mixing the surrounds and rears.

Regards
Tiwiliger

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:17:29 am »

For your first scenario, I think your TV has something similar to "virtual" surround, and you would need to feed it 5.1. Give that a try and see if your TV accepts that from MC. It should take care of mixing the channels to the appropriate speakers.

In your second scenario I'm not sure what the 'official' way of doing things is, but I still think you need to configure for 5.1. Use the parametric EQ to either remove or mix the surround channels to the front speakers.

Also, before adjusting EQ's and stuff, have a look at Room Correction to set proper distances for your speakers and configure their proper gain levels. After that you can play with PEQ but make sure it doesn't start clipping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up