INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well done JRiver  (Read 1166 times)

DaveS

• Recent member
Well done JRiver
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:12:58 pm »

Just want to say congratulations on a truly awesome product.

I've been running Windows Media Centre 7 for 3 years since I got my HTPC. To get MC7 to work properly took countless hours, and even then, subtitles were never really right, I couldn't fast forward or rewind properly from remote, some movies played with no sound and there were various other annoying quirks.

I've spent many long evenings messing with codecs and changing settings blindly in the hope that it will fix seemingly random faults.

Anyway, last night I thought I'd give JRiver a whirl. I installed it and library imported 2 TB of media. I instantly thought it wasn't working properly as it only seemed to take a few minutes and my whole PC didn't grind to a halt. I couldn't believe it when I found that all the media was there. I was shocked again to find that everything I tried to play worked perfectly, with subtitles, with fast forward and rewind, and was quicker at starting, stopping and basically everything else.

I then found a slight learning curve and I delved deeper into the software and it took maybe 4-5 hours to get it set up as I wanted it (I'm a bit of a perfectionist with my HTPC as I like to show it off to my mates) but now it's running better than MC7 ever did, even after 3 years of tweaking. There's only a couple of very minor things I need to sort out now.

The Media Browser plugin with MC7 does, in my opinion, look marginally better than JRiver, but only by a fraction, and the fact that JRiver works properly wipes that disadvantage out in a second.

It's fast, it's slick, it works perfectly out of the box, this is how it should be.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Well done JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »

It's extremely kind of you to say so.  Thank you. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up