INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What IP protocols are used for audio playback to DLNA renderer  (Read 1741 times)

Carcajou

• Recent member
What IP protocols are used for audio playback to DLNA renderer
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:39:43 am »

Bonjour

1 - When music is played on my Audio Media DLNA Rendered (Pioneer N50) from JRiver MC17 over my home Network - what IP protocols are involved for transport, control and error correction (if any). Is it HTTP/1.1, UDP, RTPC, RTSP, RPC or else ?

2 - All my music files (.wav & .flac) are stored on a NAS. When I play a music file on the DLNA renderer, is the file goes from the NAS to my MC17 PC before being directed to the DLNA renderer or is it served directly from the NAS to the DLNA renderer without passing through the MC17 PC?

doulos

• World Citizen
Re: What IP protocols are used for audio playback to DLNA renderer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:02:38 am »

Hi,

for an answer to 1), you should refer to some description of the UPnP protocol. Here is a picture that shows it all.

as to 2), it depends whether you run a media server on your NAS, or use it as a file server only. In the first case, MC will act as a UPnP control point only, passing the URL to the renderer which then retrieves the media content from the NAS media server (normally using HTTP GET). If the NAS is only a file server, MC will also act as a media server, reading the file from the NAS and serving it to the renderer.

regards,
chris
MediaSteersman - Your Media at Your Fingertips

Carcajou

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:11:40 am »

Chris,
Thanks for the diagram, it says it all. For the Dlink DNS-320 NAS, it is configured as a UPNP server. If my MC17 PC is powered off, I can browse the music files on the NAS from a small display on the front of the Pioneer N50 DLNA renderer (in a windows folder view), I can select files and play them. By looking into MC17 configuration, can I know if MC17 act only as a controller or as a server? My preference is that MC17 act as a controller only.

doulos

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:36 am »

If you only use MC as a controller, you lose a lot of functionality. All the gathering of meta information is done by the server, and many of the NAS embedded servers are rather weak in this area. Another weakness is transcoding (if needed), which requires considerable CPU strength - more than the DNS-320 can provide.

I cannot say how exactly you distinguish between the cases, because I dont have MC in front of me, and dont use it as a control point only.
MediaSteersman - Your Media at Your Fingertips

Carcajou

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:51 am »

Doulos, you have answered my question. When MC17 is up and running, I can see meta data on the Pioneer N50 display (cover art). I now understand that my set up of MC17 is one where MC 17 is the Media server. I run MC17 from an 11 years old AMD 2Ghz PC running XP (and tons of other things) and I have never noticed any glitches or sound anomalies from the Pioneer N50 renderer. And I do use MC17 conversion tools to serve music to a Sony Blue ray disc player (this is documented in another thread in Interact).  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up