INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using MC to up mix channels.  (Read 1643 times)

Imatation

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Using MC to up mix channels.
« on: October 25, 2012, 02:11:06 pm »

Hello,

My receiver is connected via optical from the onboard realtek sound device and supports up to 10 channel audio but I can’t seem to use MC18 to output 7.1 audio. I can output it as Dolby digital 5.1 using WASABI event style to my receiver fine or use source number of channels (which is 2 channel audio) and let my receiver mix up to 7.1, but when using MC to do the up mixing it will only output 2 channels regardless of how many channels I set in MC.

If I use HDMI I can send 7.1 to my receiver with MC but only if I set direct sound as the output format, I get and error with WASABI event style.
I think this may be a problem with the realtek driver for windows 8 but I don’t know because I never tried it in win7.
However it will also do the same and only give me 2 channels if I output optical from my Asus sonar STX using PCM. I can output Dolby digital from the soundcard but that’s limited to 5.1.

Am I correct in assuming that MC18 should be able to upmix a 2 channel digital signal to 7.1 in program, from sources other than HDMI?

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Using MC to up mix channels.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:06:06 pm »

S/PDIF (optical) is limited to stereo or Dolby Digital encoded surround.

HDMI should support 8 channels of bit-perfect data, so is a good choice.  You might try WASAPI (no event style) to see if that works with the Realtek.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Imatation

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »

I can get 7.1 audio in some of my games via optical so it must support it.

Direct sound is the only method that I can get to playback more than 2 channels via HDMI.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:26:10 pm »

WASABI - Japanese horseradish-like plant often used with sushi  ;)
WASAPI - Windows Audio Session API

You are probably getting 7.1 in games since your receiver is upmixing. To get WASAPI working with HDMI you usually have to set the output to 5.1 or 7.1 channels and the bit-depth to 24 bits. Once you get it working you will be able to use JRSS to upmix to 7.1 and send out via HDMI.

Imatation

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:54:56 pm »

WASABI - Japanese horseradish-like plant often used with sushi 
WASAPI - Windows Audio Session API

Hai mohaveson,

"You are probably getting 7.1 in games since your receiver is upmixing."

Must have been having looked into it and finding out it doesn't support it.

"playback could not be started on the output WASAPI using format 44.1kHz 24bit 8"

I've tried all the available kHz settings with no change. In fact it won't play source number of channels using WASPI. WASAPI works fine with optical.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up