INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was there a decision on 3D support in MC18?  (Read 4773 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Was there a decision on 3D support in MC18?
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:13:56 pm »

Was there a decision on whether 18 would have 3D video support?

Looking at the Cinavia implementation in TMT5 means my iso library is doomed! >:(

Does Cinavia affect MC?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Was there a decision on 3D support in MC18?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:26:42 pm »

MC's BD support is based on LAV Filters and (at this stage) there is no 3D or BD Menu support like you get with commercial BD Players such as TMT.  The good news is that there cinavia is also not supported so you 2D stuff will continue to play just fine.
JRiver CEO Elect

audunth

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:28:17 am »

There are more to 3D support than 3D Blu-ray support. A good start would be making the OSD and Theater View support SBS and OU (side by side and over under) 3D formats, which are used in 3D television content and popular for Blu-ray rips. It's very annoying when you watch a SBS 3D video in MC and whenever you bring up the OSD it's all over the place.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:55:30 am »

There are more to 3D support than 3D Blu-ray support. A good start would be making the OSD and Theater View support SBS and OU (side by side and over under) 3D formats, which are used in 3D television content and popular for Blu-ray rips. It's very annoying when you watch a SBS 3D video in MC and whenever you bring up the OSD it's all over the place.

The leader in PC 3D is nVidia and they don't endorse or support side-by-side.

I would like to support the official nVidia 3d system (packed frames), but their drivers won't let "just anyone" use it.  I actually had 3d image playback working, but I had to rename "Media Center xx.exe" to "GoogleEarth.exe" to get the driver to let me run 3d in windowed mode!

So this area is messy right now.  If and when it cleans up, we'll do what we can to support 3d.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

audunth

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 11:44:29 am »

nVidia has been the leader until now because on computers 3D is mostly used for gaming, but AMD with their HD3D, which supports standard 3D capable TVs and projectors is a more actual solution for a HTPC.

Anyway, side by side is a format supported by any MKV file, any 3D TV/projector on the market (since it's used for satellite/cable television) and any media player and receiver. If nVidia doesn't support side by side that means that they won't support TV broadcasts, and that rules out nVidia's solution in a HTPC.

Adding a side-by-side mode to the OSD is simply duplicating it and putting it on both sides of the screen, with a hotkey toggle. I'm talking about the keyboard OSD, not the one that pops down when moving the mouse. Can't imagine that requiring massive amounts of new code, then again, I'm not a programmen :)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

Z0001

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:39:29 pm »

Has there been any progress on getting 3D to work, either via blu-ray, blu-ray rips or mkv? I have a 3D capable TV.

Desperate to throw TMT and PDVD in the bin, even though they are premium priced.

Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:47:00 pm »

No 3D.  No decision.  Not a priority.

audunth

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 04:50:02 pm »

I understand it's low priority right now, Jim, but please just the OSD? It could be activated by a tag field set to SBS or OU, making the OSD just reducing itself to half size and duplicating horizontally or vertically.

A manual hotkey toggle would be fine too.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 05:31:05 pm »

For 3-D support to work in MC, it is going to require support from the Filters (so you may need to ask over in the Doom9 LAV and madVR Threads - both nevcairiel and madshi have previously also said it is a low priority).

For what it is worth - for the 1 3D disk I have I crank up TMT manually.
JRiver CEO Elect

audunth

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 06:53:38 pm »

Since the OSD pops up when hitting a keyboard arrow or space bar even if LAV or madVR aren't used, I'm under the impression MC handles the OSD, not the filters.

I'm not asking for 3D support, I'm merely asking them to make a SBS/OU alternative OSD, which for SBS would be compressed 50% and duplicated in the width, and for OU compressed 50% and duplicated in the height.

Next step would be the same for the subtitle renderer. EDIT: Not very important, since when you rip a 3D Blu-ray to SBS/OU, the subtitles are also converted, so playing a ripped 3D Blu-ray with subtitles works in MC. Making a 3D mode for the subtitle renderer would only apply to using external subtitles, for example if you download subtitles in a different language than is available on the disc. Maybe it's needed to display 3D TV subtitles correctly when using MC with a DVB receiver card, I wouldn't know.

SBS/OU files require no 3D support whatsoever to play, they're normal 1080p (or 720p) files that simply shows a double picture until you tell the 3D TV/projector to convert into 3D, or it detects it automatically. It's just that when the 3D TV is in 3D mode, everything on the screen, such as the OSD, which are not doubled like the picture, will be all over the place.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »

Gotcha.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up