INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new dell 8500 7 mc17 crashes  (Read 1444 times)

Jack Fate 318

• World Citizen
new dell 8500 7 mc17 crashes
« on: October 28, 2012, 05:46:16 am »

10/25/12 received CPU did all updates , then installed mc17, set to wasapi event,the rest was at default setting & started ripping ,ok so far .A little later while listening from HD & still ripping, lost picture could not get proper shut down. Watching you tube thru MC17 not ripping, lost picture again. then some time later windows shuts down mc17 get message from mc17 to backup,uninstall,reboot,reinstall.ran diagnostics on hardware & software,also did a restore that took several attempts to achieve, I have not yet, did the uninstall of mc17 . I don't  know if cpu will run long enough to finish any task ,but its working now.

i'm loving mc17 audio ,BUT this can't go on , i purchased this cpu for the sole purpose of MC17

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: new dell 8500 7 mc17 crashes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:35:23 am »

Doesn't sound like an MC issue.

If you really want to get your hands dirty,

Download Memtest86, choose whatever is convenient for you to boot that pc from (USB for instance). Let it run a full cycle (takes multiple hours to complete!)
Download Realtemp or CoreTemp and start it.
Download Prime95 and let it run for a good few hours but make sure you don't fry the CPU. Watch Realtemp or Coretemp like a hawk and setup alarms (test them!). 16 hours is considered stable, to reach 99% certainty a 24 hour continuous stress test is required.
Download GPU-Z, run it and select the Sensors tab.
Download Furmark, run it but watch GPU-Z its not frying the GPU.

Prime95 and Furmark can cause damage to your system if cooling is insufficient. Safeguards are in place but don't count on them. If you see temperatures rise (>80C for CPU or >90C for GPU, STOP the test immediately). Closing Prime95 doesn't actually stop the test, it minimizes it to the notification area. Choose stop test from the menu instead.

If you decide to run these tests be committed to running them full length. If you don't intend to run memtest its full cycle, don't bother. Same with Prime, if you don't intend to wait for at least 4 hours, don't run it at all. There is no point in running any of these tests for less it won't prove anything.

Furmark test ... I guess an hour or two should be sufficient.

Memtest is harmless and can be safely run overnight.

If all that works fine, and you feel adventurous, run Prime95, Furmark and the Windows Memtest together for several hours. The free version can be started multiple instances to test all memory. Note though that this windows memtest is by no means a replacement for the Memtest86 above.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:35:47 am »

Our wiki has a topic called "Stability".  It might help.

Jack Fate 318

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:54:00 am »

Sounds like a job for super geek , ( I'm not him ) sounds dangerous ,also I must travel to daughters house to get reliable stable Internet connection . Only have spotty mifi at home. Haveing her do uninstall   ,reboot & reinstall as recommended by j river software .
Thank you very much for the reply as I will keep this in my data file.
I tried j river before , when win 7 was new ,had too much problems
Thought it would be more compatable now
Really hope to get through this somehow .

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up