INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail Request - Multiple Thumbnails  (Read 1322 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Thumbnail Request - Multiple Thumbnails
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:18:49 am »

This I think would be more for home videos, rather than movies and tv shows

Could we eventually have the ability to generate multiple thumbnails or an animated gif or something. So that when the mouse is hovering over the video it gives a kind of preview to the file?

Thanks

Daydream

Re: Thumbnail Request - Multiple Thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:37:08 am »

The file should just play within its thumbnail space. I'd like that.

locust

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:11:25 pm »

The file should just play within its thumbnail space. I'd like that.

wouldn't that require quite a bit of horsepower to seek through videos on demand all the time, or would it make a cache as it goes along?

Personally I think being able to build them just like we can build thumbnails now would be better. It would probably take quite a while to build them if say each video you did it to required 10 or 20 frames throughout the video - but seems worth the time in my eyes.

Would probably have to be something that is manually activated,or activated for certain media sub types etc though auto import if like me if most users wouldn't want this for movies and television but only home videos. Although if it worked well I'd probably cave and do to all video anyway.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Thumbnail Request - Multiple Thumbnails
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:06:16 pm »

it could also be used with searching through gizmo, much like YouTube.

locust

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:28:39 pm »

That would be nice especially in JRemote,

although would have to be completely optional especially for people who connect through 3g. Don't  know what extra overheads there would be, but I'd imagine that the thumbnail files would be significantly larger unless the preview images were lesser quality than the static image that would reside when a video is not selected or the mouse is hovering over.

come to think of it I would really like this feature, for me it would breath some life into mc making it seem more interactive, as it would help somewhat in the selection of a video to watch.

It would have to be subtle though, it wouldn't be nice if the mouse was dragged across the screen and several previews were activated - only one at a time, but it couldn't be too subtle that it feels like it takes too long for the preview to kick in

locust

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 12:01:40 pm »

Just wondering, if I were to use an external program to create the animated gifs and applied them to the video as a thumbnail, would they animate or just show the fist image?

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:49:34 pm »

Just wondering, if I were to use an external program to create the animated gifs and applied them to the video as a thumbnail, would they animate or just show the fist image?

Animated GIFs will not come to life in the JRiver "Media Center". You have to use other software to see the moving pictures. Awkward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up