INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ordered chapters (Seamless branching in MKVs)  (Read 3072 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Ordered chapters (Seamless branching in MKVs)
« on: October 27, 2012, 05:05:55 am »

Hi,

I have a few Blu-ray rips from Blu-rays with seamless branching, ripped into MKVs with ordered chapters, so I can choose which version of a movie (director's or theatrical cut for example) I want to watch. They do not play well in MC. They will play, but there's no way of choosing which cut of the movie to play. Apparently, the longest cut will play, and then after the end credits, you get to see the scenes of the other cut that differs from the ones in the cut just played.

I get it that this is due to the LAV splitter not supporting ordered chapters. Over at the Doom9 forum, I've seen quite a few people asking about it, but searching through the LAV thread I can't find any answer from nevcairiel whether it will be included in the near future.

I can of course spend hours messing around with different splitters in Red October advanced mode and probably make it work, but since MC is all about working out of the box, I think this issue is worth a look.

Also interested if someone has come up with a solution, or workaround if you will.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Daydream

Re: Ordered chapters (Seamless branching in MKVs)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:45:37 am »

Ordered chapters in LAV... Having a very long look at that "sometimes in 2012" answer Nev gave... almost a year ago. :)

audunth

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:41:00 am »

Well, it seems MC with Red October activated should load another splitter for such files then, until they are supported by the LAV splitter.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:59:49 am »

No MKV Ordered Chapt support till Nevcairiel decides it is worth it (if ever).  FYI - I rip all my BD's as the complete structure to the HDD and you can then choose what Playlist you want (eg Alt Endings etc).
JRiver CEO Elect

audunth

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:12:11 am »

Okay, not a big deal to me, only have a few of those files anyway. I just thought the goal was to play everything out of the box. Is there a way to set it up so MKVs with ordered chapters automatically play with different renderer than MKVs without ordered chapters?

Nevcairiel, any update on if/when we can expect support?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:31:10 am »

FYI - I rip all my BD's as the complete structure to the HDD and you can then choose what Playlist you want (eg Alt Endings etc).

Practical, but not efficient. Or elegant.

With MKV Ordered chapters I could make ALL versions of Blade Runner run off one file, making multiple discs irrelevant. Yes, androids do dream of electric sheep. It's just that somebody needs to dream wild enough to make this feature happen.
I could make the entire Battlestar Galactica series play n ways (proper timeline order / broadcast order / with or without 'The Plan' / with or without 'Razor' eps / with or without other extras etc).

Nev, if you don't help out here, you're a Cylon! :D :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up