INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to run one single library in two different machines?  (Read 3304 times)

rikirk

• Recent member
How to run one single library in two different machines?
« on: October 28, 2012, 05:58:08 pm »

I can't find an answer in the forum, besides the Synchronize across multiple computers guide which relates to MCv12, so maybe there is a better way do it now that I am missing.

I just want to:

1. use PC1 for playing, ripping and tagging files in a local library.
2. wireless copy and synchronize those files without loosing the tag info and album art on PC2 (separate machine connected with hi-fi system).

Objective: avoid streaming capability and listening directly from the file location of each separate machine.
I rip in wave format only (I understand it's an issue if I change platform, but should work for this instance), plus I have several files in Flac and ISO.

Both machines are WIN8 Pro under the same JRiver MC18 license and update.

I tried synchronizing same library from PC1 to PC2, and:
1. does not keep sync (missing 5,000 over 12,000 total)
2. tags and even more covers do not match.

I also tried the Portable Drive Installation directions I found here loading a 2TB HD from PC1 which I later connected into PC2 creating a new library having the same name, but I have the same issues (mismatching tags - no sync after creating the new library).

I am sure I am missing something critical even though I understand the concept of changing the library directory mentioned in the a/m instructions.

I would very appreciate if you can point me to a useful guide on this topic.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to run one single library in two different machines?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:48:30 am »

Objective: avoid streaming capability and listening directly from the file location of each separate machine.

I rip in wave format only (I understand it's an issue if I change platform, but should work for this instance), plus I have several files in Flac and ISO.

Questions:

1. I am confused about machine 2 - is it wireless, plugged into the LAN or what?
2. You say you attempted to "sync" the library from PC 1 to 2 - using what - exactly?

Suggestions:

1. Change the format to one that can store ALL the tag data and art - so any given file has everything.
2. Then use a good sync tool (I use SyncBack SE v6) to do an exact copy from 1 to 2

Caveat: If PC2 is wireless - then copying hundreds of files is gonna take a ton of time as well.

Or

3. Save yourself major hassle (and time) and simply set up PC 1 to run Media Server. Then make PC2 the client. I realize this violates your requirements but I would even take it a step further and get PC2 into the network via hard wire. If PC2 is intended for "big stereo in the living room" kinda usage - personally - I would not ever rely on sort of wireless access to serve the listener.

VP

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:04:22 pm »

@Vocalpoint,

Thank you for the prompt reply and sorry for not being clear in my explanation.

About your questions:

1. I am confused about machine 2 - is it wireless, plugged into the LAN or what?

Yes PC2 is connected to the network via wireless. Due to physical restrains an Ethernet connection between PC1 and PC2 it's not an option.
Still my wireless connection should be good enough for adding new files into the library after ripping CDs and/or updating tags of stored music files. Both activities will be performed from PC1 station only.

2. You say you attempted to "sync" the library from PC 1 to 2 - using what - exactly?

Synchronize command in JRiver Media Library Tool. I feel - for my goal - an external software will be redundant with what I already have available in JR.

I am perfectly aware that I am in trouble water using WAVE for tagging but I put all my confidence in JRiver, since even the last version of Windows it's not coming of any help.

I also understand than copying 1Tb wireless will take a very long time, but I am fine with this as long as I can keep the two Libraries (tags/artwork) and relative music files in PC1 and PC2 synchronized thereafter.

The alternative option I am working right now it's to copy all the files in an external HD (LaCieUSB3.0) under Windows loosing all the tagging and then point the library directory of PC1 into the PC music folder (if possible?!), so I can later modify the library stored in PC2 while working from PC1.

My directory is: M:\MusicStorage\[Composer]\[Composer] - [Album name]\[Track] [Filename].

If it works I can compromise, streaming the music from PC2 as a Server to PC1 as a Client under JRiver.

Still the best option I have in mind and the reason of my original post, it is to sync two libraries each of them contained in two separated (mirrored?!) music folders stored in two separates Win machines without loosing tags content and artworks.

I do believe there is a way to go in JRiver that I can't figure out myself!

Thank you again,

Riccardo

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:26:22 pm »

Still the best option I have in mind and the reason of my original post, it is to sync two libraries each of them contained in two separated (mirrored?!) music folders stored in two separates Win machines without loosing tags content and artworks.

Well - for what it's worth - I tried to do this several years back - that is - copying the same files everywhere to all kinds of different machines so all would have the same library - and while it worked for a very short while - it began to collapse on itself after a while...so I moved to the client server model for all PC's. Everyone is always up to date and no copying required.

Important - while I have never needed to use the Synchronize command in MC - you should be aware that this command does this:

"Sync your changes back to Library Server when you make them on a client."

So - if you are not using Library Server (via the Media Server component) - AND/OR PC2 is not a "client" connecting back to the Library Server running on PC1 - then it's no wonder you are having issues etc. This command has nothing to do with the physical "syncing" of two separate and distinct "file collections" like what you have outlined you want/have on both PC1 and PC2.

To actually "sync" (or mirror) the actual files in both locations - you will need a third party tool to do file compares etc to "mirror" the library to two places.

I would still strongly suggest that you explore Media Server and save your sanity. MC's Media/Library server is excellent and take it from me - copying files everywhere all the time will more than test your patience in the long run...

Cheers,

VP

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:51:50 pm »

Got it. THANK YOU! Since there is no way to mirror I will use PC2 as Server and PC1 as client.

So I am thinking of this - no clue if it works:

1. Save the files currently stored in the HD of PC1 into an external HD (I am expecting to loose most of the tags).
2. Connect the HD to PC2 via USB.
3. Link Library and Cover directories for both machines with the same name and in the same folder stored in the external HD connected to PC2.
4. Proceed with tagging and ripping acting from PC1 and storing in PC2 location via wireless (without using Sync - just through the update tags from library command each time)

Is there any other critical folder to be considered in JRiver?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:01:14 pm »

Got it. THANK YOU! Since there is no way to mirror I will use PC2 as Server and PC1 as client.

So I am thinking of this - no clue if it works:

1. Save the files currently stored in the HD of PC1 into an external HD (I am expecting to loose most of the tags).
2. Connect the HD to PC2 via USB.
3. Link Library and Cover directories for both machines with the same name and in the same folder stored in the external HD connected to PC2.
4. Proceed with tagging and ripping acting from PC1 and storing in PC2 location via wireless (without using Sync - just through the update tags from library command each time)

Is there any other critical folder to be considered in JRiver?

Hmm...I would do this a bit differently. Assuming that PC1's default library location IS the external drive on PC2 - and any new files would be placed there (on the External drive) I would be either just set MC on PC1 to "auto import" whatever it sees as "new" from the External...or - as I do - run Import manually on each instance  of MC (on each PC) wherever new files are present in the external file share.

Basically - you would just use the external drive as M:\Music on both PC's and maintain a separate library on each PC. Not sure where you are getting the "update tags from library" from..or why you would need to do that.

VP

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:53:00 pm »

I will take your suggestion to manually import from both each time. Thank you very much for the time and very clear explanation. You made my day :).
Riccardo

PS: Update Tag from Library is an option in the menu Library Tools when you are in Tag mode. I always use this command every time I modify a tag in an album.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »

PS: Update Tag from Library is an option in the menu Library Tools when you are in Tag mode. I always use this command every time I modify a tag in an album.

FWIW: I use this rarely - and only when I import a "new" copy of the same album or track. I use this to write the current library tag values to the newly imported file. However - this does nothing if a file is being brought in for the first time.

But now - with my new tagging and archiving workflow + the advent of Shift-CTRL-V - it's just easier for me just highlight the tracks of an existing album in the MC library - press CTRL-C (Copy Tags) and switch tabs in MC to my editing view and use SHIFT-CTRL-V to apply the library tags to the tracks of the new version on the album I am currently tagging.

To be honest - since I started using these shortcuts - I do not think I have used Update Tags from Library in years....

VP

MusicHawk

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:55:54 pm »

I think I do what you desire, and have for years: PC1 to manage the music library, PC2 to play the music library. (PC1 is on my desk, PC2 is in the family room.) I do this via simple file copying. The key is to have MC on both PCs set up identically.

MC is installed on both PCs. Both MCs are configured to use the same name library at the same path.

All media/music files have an identical drive letter and path on both PCs. (Identical library content locations makes the process really really easy. Using different paths on each PC adds steps and limits how cover art can be stored.)

I copy all the needed files from PC1 to PC2, specifically these:

-- All the media/music (library content) files (same path on both PCs)

-- All the cover art folder (I use a single folder for all the images and it has the same path on both PCs)

-- All the MC library files, including view layout and smartlist files (same paths on both PCs because I always explicitly set MC paths and don't let it use its defaults, though that's not strictly required for this copying technique, just be sure files are put where MC expects them)

Then (very helpful) I have MC on PC2 set to Auto Import from the folder that has all the media files. This might seem unnecessary, and maybe it is in some situations, but it gives me reliable results. When the MC files on PC2 (library and media files) are copied from PC1, thereby updating PC2, MC doesn't reliably know this happened. Running Auto Import seems necessary to trigger MC to refresh its knowledge of the library. It could be done via a manual Import, but setting MC to Auto Import means it happens whenever library content is changed.

The entire copying process is automated using Syncback SE, which runs nightly. Using a backup app is a big help. With one click it can copy all the needed files (in various folders) from PC1 to PC2 (set it and forget it). It minimizes loading each PC and the network because it only copies files to PC2 that are new/changed on PC2. (And deletes files from PC2 if no longer existing on PC1, which helps when I do some library or cover art cleanup.) And it can be scheduled as desired (mine runs middle of night) or run manually. The final benefit: I end up with a daily backup of my entire music library!

I've used this method with MC for many years because it's simple and reliable. Not counting hardware problems, I've never failed to have the MC library (and cover art and views and smartlists) I organized on PC1 ready to use on PC2. And actually, I do this process twice, from PC1 to PC2 AND from PC1 to PC3 (a laptop I use in my RV).

PS: I tried the other methods, but a simple one-way copy turned out to do exactly what I need. Of course, this limits certain features that require the various MC clients/servers to communicate, but for my music library I don't need them. For instance, I don't care how often a song is played, and I only make library changes on PC1. However, if those things matter, the syncing provided by MC must be used.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »

+100! Take it from MusicHawk.

He helped me big time with my layout when I was doing the file copy routine several years ago.

Cheers,

VP

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 05:14:22 pm »

Thank you so much MusicHawk! That was exactly what I was looking for!

Only two considerations before I can claim victory:

a. My mistake, I embedded the cover art in the same folder of each album (it's 99.99% classical) instead of using one single folder for all of them. I believe this is easy to fix, it just requires time, which is part of the learning process :).

b. I might be more in trouble getting the same letter for the location of both drivers since the library in PC1 is a dedicated internal HD (letter D), while the music files for PC2 (which I almost finished to transfer) are stored in an external HD (which I named M for lack of fantasy - D was not an option). I will work harder on that to find a possible solution.

Again, thank you BOTH for the very kind and helpful posts.

Riccardo (a very happy user of MC18!!!)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:49:27 am »

Any specific reason you don't want to use a client/server configuration?  That is the easiest way to share a single library to multiple machines.

Is this the primary issue:
Yes PC2 is connected to the network via wireless. Due to physical restrains an Ethernet connection between PC1 and PC2 it's not an option.

If so, look in to MOCA (Ethernet over cable) or Power line Ethernet.  The latest versions of either should be more than you need for even HD video playback over the network (previous version of Power line Ethernet was not up to the task for full BR quality video).

Vocalpoint

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:19:26 am »

If so, look in to MOCA (Ethernet over cable) or Power line Ethernet.  The latest versions of either should be more than you need for even HD video playback over the network (previous version of Power line Ethernet was not up to the task for full BR quality video).

This is exactly what I did. Popped several of the new-gen D-Link Powerline modules into our layout and immediately ditched ALL wireless (outside of mobile devices). We now enjoy high-def everything - everywhere with no worries about dropouts, disconnects or anything.

Plus as long as there is a plug in the room (or on a wall) - I can add LAN connectivity anywhere. We will be connecting a module out to the patio next spring.

Cheers!

VP

maid

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »

Using the media Server was not practical for me. I network the library to use on two machines.
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

NickF

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 04:48:19 am »

I can't find an answer in the forum, besides the Synchronize across multiple computers guide which relates to MCv12, so maybe there is a better way do it now that I am missing.

I would very appreciate if you can point me to a useful guide on this topic.

Read the wiki here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server

I have made a few updates to make it a little clearer.  It may still need some work.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 05:02:04 am »

As other have mentioned, Library server are the intended way to handle this.
If it does not suite your need then please tell JRiver why, so we can make it better.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »

Thank you all !!!

Got distracted, but I am willing to work on this in the next few nights hoping my little brain will be able to go through all the nuances of JR and yes indeed the new Ethernet via power line will be the next hardware improvement no matter if I go mirror or not.  I will post the results asap.

audunth

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 04:06:53 pm »

If you don't need to play the files on PC1, why don't you just go into Windows Explorer on PC1, map the drive you're using for your media on PC2 to a drive letter as a network share (make sure to share the drive from PC2 first) and then just set the library path and ripping path on PC1 to whatever drive letter you gave the shared drive on PC2? Then all the files and library will be on PC2.

You may have to make sure only one of the PCs are running MC at a time to do it this way, which means shutting down MC on PC2 when you rip music, then shutting down MC on PC1 once you're finished ripping before running MC on PC2.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up