INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring MC16 on a New Computer  (Read 5383 times)

jfuzz

• Recent member
Restoring MC16 on a New Computer
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:22:06 pm »

Hi Guys, I'm still plugging away, but now I'm stuck again. What's New!? Let me recap:
   1. I restored MC16 from your Wiki, Older Versions, on my new Win 7 computer. This is the version that matches my Registration Code. My old computer is an XP. I have MC17, but it will expire in two weeks. Hopefully MC16 won't.
   2. Turned it on and I had MC 16 with three demo albums.
   3. I setup my new MC16 manually to match my old machine settings.
   4. Then I copied all of my old files in C:\documents and settings\admin\application data\jriver\media center 16 to C:\users\stereo only\appdata\roaming\j river\media center 16 as specified in file locations.
   5. I rebooted and when it came up all I had was the same three demo files.

What did I miss? What should I try now?   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Restoring MC16 on a New Computer
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:25:20 pm »

I could only find an MC17 license for the e-mail address you used for the forum.

So you must install MC17.  Instructions are here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:20:37 pm »

So are you saying my Registration Number is for MC17? If so why do I have version MC16 on my old computer? Ok here is my registration code, [removed by JimH]. So what version does this entitle me to restore? When I purchased MC16 MC17 wasn't out yet. Now I'm really confused. :(I just checked my e-mail and I've got notification that I restored MC17 3 times nothing on MC16 and 10 restores on my remote. The remote needs a restore? I'll worry about the remote when I get MC? running on my new Win 7 computer. I know the problem-I've got this so screwed up I may never be able to fix it. Help!!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:49:30 pm »

Posting your license may cause it to be revoked.

Yes.   You have an MC17 license.  Download MC17 and install it.  Uninstall MC16 afterward.  I don't know why you have MC16 on your machine.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:44:53 pm »

Posting your license may cause it to be revoked.

Suggestion: update the license email that is sent to users to make this unequivocally clear.  Currently, there is only:

This is your permanent proof of purchase. Print this e-mail now and keep it in a safe place.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:33:17 pm »

If all else fails I'll just have to buy MC17 and start over. Good Lord! Ripping 400+ CD's is a daunting thought!

MrC

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:44:00 pm »

I think you are confounding two matters: 1) the license, and 2) restoring the MC library database from a previously backed up MC.

Let's ignore 1.

For 2, you'd generally:

a) install MC
   b) use File > Library > Restore Library, to restore an existing library.

MC backs up its library periodically, so search the old backup location for a backup.

Did you ever try that?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:17:47 pm »

To try to help a bit also:

The physical ripped files of your collection are hopefully somewhere safe . There will not be a need to re-rip them.

Do as MrC suggests and find an old backup of your Media Center 16 you were running. They are in the format of "MC Library Backup (The Name Of Your Library) - YYYY-MM-DD.zip" Mine are in the My Documents folder under JRiver - MC## - Library backups.

Install MC 17 then do a restore with the library backup file. File - Library - Restore, then browse to the backup zip file from above.

If there is not a way to get a library backup file, point the new install to your ripped files and let MC 17 import them for you.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:54 am »

PS...

If you bought a MC16 license around the time that MC17 was coming out, you may have received a MC17 license.. I did.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:17 am »

Well, I'm still pluggin away! I uninstalled MC16 and now I have MC17 on my new computer. It has the same 3 demos oshowing. Next I loaded all of the data in C:\documents and settings\admin\application data\iriver\media center 16 from my old computer to C:\users\stereo only\appdata\roaming\jriver\media center 17 on the new computer. I changed my old paths on the audio files to the new paths and nothing. I got the same 3 demos showing. That was last night and this morning I read your new posts. That will be todays try. Thanks for sticking with me.

MrC

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 12:03:53 pm »

I'm not sure you're doing what kensn and I are suggesting.  You are manually copying private MC files and expecting MC to work that way.

Have you tried the Restore Library function as we suggest?

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »

No, I haven't tried that yet. What I described was late last night. Now I'm going to be doing what you suggested in your posts.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 04:06:29 pm »

Where have you guys been my whole life? I restored my library from the backup as you suggested and eureka bop it worked!!!!!! I've got everything except two pieces of cover art. That's minor. I can scan them in and I'm on the air. I hope I didn't screw up the restore. The worst that can happen is in 14 days it doesn't work. I'll worry about that then. Thanks again! In fact I was getting so discouraged that I was ready to sell my system. I can't thank you enough. I'm off for now but I'm sure I'll be talking to you again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up