INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help getting started, pls [DLNA]  (Read 2921 times)

brucesee

• Recent member
Help getting started, pls [DLNA]
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:49:59 pm »

Hello:
I'd like to use MC 17 to stream my audio files stored on my HP Windows Home Server (currently, the server has a Twonky DNLA server, but, I'm not thrilled w/the software).  I've read the Getting Started Wiki but I still have questions.  Let me describe my setup:  I've installed MC17 on my server (by remote desktopping in); I've also put a client version of MC on my PC, just for ease of control.  My server is connected via ethernet to my router.  I intend to stream to various DLNA capable devices (including Squeezeboxes, NetGear NeoTV 550s, Oppo BDP 93, and 2 AVRs).  All those devices are also connected to my network via ethernet cables; and the various playback boxes are connected via HDMI to my AVRs.  The audio files on the server are almost entirely FLAC files, some stereo, some multi channel.  

I want to send the audio files "as is" to my devices (for example, a 5.1 channel, 24/96 file should stream just that way).  The only DSP I'd want to use are replay gain and gapless playback (if possible).  My questions, then, are what are the "best" settings to achieve that?  From what I've seen on the Wiki, it looks like (and I could be wrong) that the various audio output settings all reference a PC's soundcard.  My understanding (and, again, I could be wrong) is that - bec. I'm streaming via ethernet - my soundcard (if my server even has one) never comes into play.  That being the case, what's best for my situation?  Also, I see that MC 17 has an "audio path" info box, which would be an ideal way for me to determine if my files are being sent the way I want.  However, when I hover my mouse over the box, I get no info.  I wonder if that's bec. I'm bypassing my soundcard or if I simply have missed a setting (I'm using the Noire skin, which is what supposedly works w/audio path).

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help getting started, pls [DLNA]
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:38:22 am »

When you use DLNA as you are, the files are just transferred to the device, so MC isn't "playing" them.

In Media Network settings, make sure you have no conversion set, or that you are converting to a lossless or uncompressed format (flac, wav, etc.).  That will also mean that your device must natively support the format.

brucesee

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:01:07 am »

Thanks, Jim.  I indeed have "no conversion" checked.  Given my setup, does it also mean that it doesn't matter what audio output mode I select - that is, there'll be no difference in my playback quality whether I select ASIO or something else?  And, because (as you say) MC is not "playing" my media, is that why I'm unable to see any audio path data?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:23:03 am »

Thanks, Jim.  I indeed have "no conversion" checked.  Given my setup, does it also mean that it doesn't matter what audio output mode I select - that is, there'll be no difference in my playback quality whether I select ASIO or something else?  And, because (as you say) MC is not "playing" my media, is that why I'm unable to see any audio path data?
You're correct on both assumptions.

brucesee

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:16 pm »

Thanks.  And, a final assumption:  again, bec. I'm streaming direct and not using MC to actually "play" the files, am I unable to use any of the setting in Tools/Options/Audio, like Replay Gain and Gapless playback?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:10:40 pm »

The options for DLNA are in Media Network->add or configure DLNA servers.

If you look at the audio transcoding options, if you set "always convert" and pick one of the conversion formats (for example headerless L16) you can set volume leveling (replay gain) and stereo downmix under the advances audio option.

Gapless playback depends on the renderer. There number of devices that support gapless playback is quite limited.

brucesee

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:29:32 pm »

Got you.  But, as you can tell from my initial post in this thread, I'm also concerned w/keeping my streams "pure" from an streaming perspective, by which, I mean that my files are all lossless and I want full audio info. to stream.  So, if I move from "never convert" to "always convert," am I still sending a lossless file, esp. if I'm now going from "uncompressed" to the L16 you suggest?  And, if you don't mind, what are the differences bet. the uncompressed formats?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 04:32:19 pm »

Got you.  But, as you can tell from my initial post in this thread, I'm also concerned w/keeping my streams "pure" from an streaming perspective, by which, I mean that my files are all lossless and I want full audio info. to stream.  So, if I move from "never convert" to "always convert," am I still sending a lossless file, esp. if I'm now going from "uncompressed" to the L16 you suggest?  And, if you don't mind, what are the differences bet. the uncompressed formats?
Uncompressed is just the decoded stream, it's not actually a conversion. It's what the renderer has to do anyway to files that aren't already in that format.  L16 is big endian wave (as opposed to windows little endian wave).

MDCry

• Recent member
JR river and/or Gizmo to Control Denon 3312
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 06:17:07 pm »

Hello, I've been using JR river for a number of months now. I have about 150 cd's (130GB) of music on my Asus Laptop (Windows 7) in my library mainly in Wave or Flac format. I play music through my Denon 3312 receiver. I have been using the Denon web browser control to play my music up until this point. It works fine and sounds good but the format of the Denon controller is lame. Essentially, I want to be able to use JR river on my laptop to control my Denon Receiver (change songs, albums, change volume, etc. I have all the music on my server through JR river, the Denon 3312 shows up on the tree on the left within JR river but when I double click on it JR river spins it's wheels and I have to shut down the program every time. I think I have everything set properly but obviously not. Nothing glitches or slows down when I simply play the music through JR river player but as soon as I try to send it to the Denon it spins it's wheels.

All I want to do is use JR river or Gizmo to send music through the server to the Denon.

What am I doing wrong? What settings am I overlooking? Is something on my laptop stopping me from doing this? The Denon is DLNA capable and clearly works with the Denon web controller and therefore JR river is working to enable that to happen.

I just want to use JR river as a remote control to play music through my Denon receiver in the best sound possible.

Please help and I will be forever grateful.

If I was to purchase WD TV Live Hub does JR river integrate well with it?

Sorry for the long email.

Sincerely,

Mark

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 08:29:06 pm »

Assuming you are using the default generic DLNA server setup in MC,
Right-click on the Denon and check the DLNA controller options. You can
try disabling SetNext support. If that doesn't fix it, try disabling the transport events.
If it still doesn't work, check the advanced settings under the Generic DLNA server. You could try setting Audio Conversion to "Always Convert" then try mp3 or L16 as the target format.
You might want to enable Stereo downmix if you have multichannel material and a fixed sample rate if your source material contains more than one sample rate.

MDCry

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 10:09:59 pm »

I tred all the suggestions you mentioned and JR river still spins it's wheels when I double click on Denon 3312. What other obstacles could be stopping it from working? I really love the layout and features of this program and I just can't get it to play my music on the Denon. I did originally many months ago and the odd time it seems to work. Should I unistall JRriver 18 and reinstall it again? I did that with 17 and it didn't make a difference.

As I stated above I have one laptop (Asus U31S running windows 7) with all my music on it. Simply wanting to use JR river to play my music through my Denon with ability to control volume, change tracks, etc. I have a very good Asus router with ethernet cable from router to Denon. All the music is on the Generic DLNA server.

Is there anyone I could call to talk me through the options before I give up on this program?

Desperately seeking help,

Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 07:16:42 am »

Single click, not double click on the Denon.

Your firewall may prevent access.  See "Network Access" on our wiki.
Pages: [1]   Go Up