INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to create a catalog of my library?  (Read 1293 times)

ges

How to create a catalog of my library?
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »

I am in the proces of ripping my cd collection to my computer. When I am finished I would like to be able to create a catalog of my albums so when I go shopping I am not purchasing music I already have. Is this possible with JRiver?

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to create a catalog of my library?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »

I have had the same issue for years.  MC's hard copy reporting capabilities are not particularly good.  However, at some point hard copies become problematic when you get large file sizes.

In any event, here's how I solved the problem. 

I copy the library over to an excel spreadsheet (or Access or ?).  I used to print that spreadsheet but no longer do.  You can then manipulate to your heart's desire, including just showing albums, etc.

I have never found a way to easily export to a spreadsheet, however.  If someone knows, please let me know.  Here's what I do (hopefully, I am remembering correctly). 

1. Create a view with the fields you want. 
2. Get all the records you want into that view (that is not always easy for me, but I won't get into that)
3. highlight (select) the first 6,000 records (I can't get it to work with more) and copy and paste into spreadsheet.
4. then proceed to next 6000 records, etc.

Kind of a pain, but it works.  Maybe others have better ideas.
John

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »

Create a play list of the files you want.  Export the play list as a CSV file.  Manipulate the CSV file in Excel (or another tool) to get the data you want.

To get a list of albums:
Create a play list of all files.
Export to CSV.
Open in Excel.
Delete all columns except album, artist, and year.
Use the 'remove duplicates' option in Excel.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:05:46 pm »

Thanks Bartman.  That helped me, at least.

I was actually copying all the files in my playlists (IN ORDER OF THE PLAYLISTS) and I couldn't figure out how to do that without the convoluted procedure I described.  However, with your help I found that if I drop all the playlists onto the player and then select them and paste them into a temporary playlist, the order is maintained and THEN the export command is available.  Thank you!
John

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:23:35 pm »

Actually, it should be even simpler than that. Create a smartlist of the albums you want in the report. Make that one line per album by including only [Track Number] = 1 or removing duplicates of [Album Artist (auto)], [Album]. Directly in the playlist view, include only the columns you want in the report. Group and sort the list as you please. Then export that to CSV and open in Excel. With such a smartlist, you can create an up-to-date report at any time in the time it takes to do the export and open it in Excel (i.e., maybe 10 seconds).

ges

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:16:19 pm »

Thanks for the insight. I'll soon be finished ripping and I can give it a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up