INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing TV Series  (Read 15984 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Importing TV Series
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:01:45 am »

I have a number of tv series in blu ray and dvd.  None of them are showing up properly when imported.

My folder structure is
TV Series
     -> Rome
          -> Season 1
               -> Episode 1
                ->Episode 2

When looking in the library I see
Name = Index, Season is populated correctly, Episode is blank, all other info is pretty much blank.  I can't do a Get Info from internet since it comes back with episode is blank.

If I pop in an episode number it works however have a couple of hundred episodes missing the episode number.  Is there an easier way to populate the episode number rather than manually inputting? 

This is starting to look like a whole lot of trouble.  I honestly didn't think it would be so much work importing items into the library.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Re: Importing TV Series
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:18:30 am »

One other problem.  For Battlestar Galactica, they had a mini series 2 parter and some movies.  I found the info using Get from Internet however I can't find a way to make these show up as part of the series.  They both have the Series Name populated.  The mini movie The Plan shows up under my movies instead.  The mini series 2 parter doesn't show up anywhere that I can see.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:52:15 am »

What does the Filename for Episode 1 look like?
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:19:02 pm »

I manually populated Rome since it was fairly small however here's an example from Battlestar Galactica.  This is what is showing up in the library.

\\TOWER\disk8\TV Shows\Battlestar Galactica\Season 1\Episode 1\BDMV\index.bluray;1

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:39 pm »

Under Tools/Options, go to Library & Folders. Select Configure auto-import.

Add each folder that contains a type, like Series, Movies, Music.

When you add Series, select mode 'Include this folder and all child folders' and select video under 'Import these file types'. At Apply these tags, select Add and choose Media Subtype: TV Show.

Do the same for movies if you have them, but select Media Subtype Movies.

This ensures that when you run "Get Movie and TV Info'' it will query the proper database for info. But this only applies to newly imported files.

The best thing I think you can do now for the already imported files is in the tree view, go to Video, Files, in the Location Pane go to Series. Select all files in the details pane and choose Tag from the Action Window (bottom left). If the Media Subtype tag isn't shown, choose 'Show all tags' from the button left of tag header window (sub menu icon). Locate the Media Subtype tag and correct it to "TV Show". You can now select all, right click and choose 'Get Movie and TV Info'.

Correcting things in Media Center isn't very often a lot of work, its often only a matter of knowing how to do things the easy way. The advanced features can have a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of things it can be very powerful managing your media.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 12:24:28 pm »

I manually populated Rome since it was fairly small however here's an example from Battlestar Galactica.  This is what is showing up in the library.

\\TOWER\disk8\TV Shows\Battlestar Galactica\Season 1\Episode 1\BDMV\index.bluray;1

This might be an exception as its a bluray rip folder structure. I'm not sure if that should be handled differently from what I explained above. You might want to exclude those and test them separetely, it might just go right, I'm not sure.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 04:18:22 pm »

The best thing I think you can do now for the already imported files is in the tree view, go to Video, Files, in the Location Pane go to Series. Select all files in the details pane and choose Tag from the Action Window (bottom left). If the Media Subtype tag isn't shown, choose 'Show all tags' from the button left of tag header window (sub menu icon). Locate the Media Subtype tag and correct it to "TV Show". You can now select all, right click and choose 'Get Movie and TV Info'.

Hmm I don't see anything called Series.  I do see a Location window pane near the center top but it only has All Locations and \\Tower...

Under Video I see Dates, Files, Genres, Movies, Types. Under Types I do see All Media Sub Types, Movie, TV Show.  However when I click TV Show, it doesn't display all my tv shows.

Man this is driving me nuts right now.  Is there a way to totally clear out my video library and just reimport everything from scratch?

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 05:47:47 pm »

I just deleted everything from my Video library and reimported following your advice.  However, the episode still does not populate and therefor whenever I try to get the info from the internet, it says it can't because I need the episode number.

This happens for regular blu ray and dvd. Not sure why the episode number doesn't want to populate.  I have literally hundreds of episodes.  Is there any way other than manually typing in the number to get them in there?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 12:28:44 am »

Sorry I forgot about Series under Video is a custom View I added. Its been there for a while and I take it for granted :).

Nonetheless, if you ran an auto-import with the settings I provided, it should have set at least Media Subtype to TV Show. Can you confirm? I'm not sure if that setting overwrites whatever is written in the sidecar files MC creates (unless you disabled creation of sidecar files?). Check if there's a sidecar xml file in your video folders.

Otherwise if Series and/or Episodes tags are not populated I think it means MC didn't detect your structure.

Code: [Select]

This might be the culprit. I'm not even sure if MC picks up an Episode foldername like that. You can try experimenting with S01E01 in your folder structure. Try changing the "Episode 1" to "S01E01" which is pretty much the standard used on an episodes' filename.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:48:46 pm »

Well renaming hundreds of folders isn't about to happen especially when I'm just on a trial period.  I'll have to manually edit the tags for now. 

One thing I noticed is that in THeater View, when I click on a series, the seasons appearing to be showing in descending order rather than ascending.  How can I change that.  It really should default to Season 1 first not 5.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 05:10:42 pm »

In Options - ThearterView when you click on an item in the left tree such as Series under Shows, in the Details window on the right you should see Series and Season under it. If you click on Season and then click edit down about 2/3 of that window there is a sorting option. Make sure it is set to Ascending.

Ken

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:21 pm »

I would really like to help a bit more, but I am unsure of what the "index.bluray;1" is doing.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:28:44 am »

;1 denotes the first index within a file. CUE sheets do the same thing. Each track is shown individually with a pointer to the file + ;1 for track 1, ;2 for track 2 etc.

Daniel, at least you can try it with 1 or 2 episodes. Renaming can be automated in Media Center if we figure out a way to make it work for you.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 02:24:21 pm »

No need to try.  I spent the day going through the library and editing the tags and inputting the episode number manually.  I found that by simply sorting then my file name, I was then able to go to Episode, hit F2 and enter 1, then just hit the down arrow button and press 2, then repeat all the way down for the episode numbers.  I managed to get them all done pretty quick.

I figured it was better to do it this way to get an overview of my everything for now without messing around with my current file structure.

So far so good.  Everything is working correctly.  I managed to save Series cover art and Season cover art, although I had to manually do this.  Is JR supposed to do this automatically?  The only series I couldn't find anything on was ROME.  I couldn't even manually search for it on tvdb.  Anyone know where I can find series and season art for ROME?

It would be nice if rather than 1, 2, 3 etc, Theaterview displayed Season 1, Season 2, etc...Seems kinda odd....Is there a way to display the word "Season"?

Also, I noticed there's an MC18.  Do you have to pay for each upgrade?  Never really thought about that.  Can I install MC 18 or 17 and keep all my settings and libraries intact?

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »

Almost forgot.  Is there a way to add a dvd series to the library which is not ripped but on still on dvd/blu ray discs?  MyMovies allows it adding tv series on disc to the library.  I don't have enough room on my server to rip all my series to a drive in my server so have to keep the actual discs.  It would  be nice to see the series while viewing in TheaterView.

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 09:45:26 am »

I am having the same problem importing TV Shows from BD and DVD rips; the episode tag is not being populated. To date, I have been manually updating the episode tag before "getting the TV info" but that is tiresome. Does MC18 know how to handle this situation and I'm doing something wrong?

Pages: [1]   Go Up