INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I avoid upsampling? [solved]  (Read 3187 times)

Gwilson

• Junior Woodchuck
Can I avoid upsampling? [solved]
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:06:03 am »

I want to be able to play music files in the format in which they were recorded without upsampling.  My DAC is  a Wavelength Cosecant that is 32/192 capable and under Windows Advanced DAC properties I have it set at 24/192 with check marks in "Allow allications to take exclusive control" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority". I can play 16/44 files through it from Windows Media Player with no problem.  In Media Center I have it set at Wasapi Event Style and checks by open device for exclusive mode and present 24 bit as 32 bit.  But I have to upsample everything to 192 or I get an error message.  Can I avoid this upsampling?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can I avoid upsampling?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:12:19 am »

I want to be able to play music files in the format in which they were recorded without upsampling.  My DAC is  a Wavelength Cosecant that is 32/192 capable and under Windows Advanced DAC properties I have it set at 24/192 with check marks in "Allow allications to take exclusive control" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority". I can play 16/44 files through it from Windows Media Player with no problem.

WMP always plays through the Windows mixer, so it's upsampling.

In Media Center I have it set at Wasapi Event Style and checks by open device for exclusive mode and present 24 bit as 32 bit.  But I have to upsample everything to 192 or I get an error message.  Can I avoid this upsampling?

As long as you use exclusive mode (you are), you should be able to get the hardware to switch rates.

What happens if you force all output to 44.1 or 48 in DSP Studio > Output Format?  Do those rates work?

I'll send this thread to Gordon Rankin (the brains behind Wavelength) to see if he has any ideas.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wavelength

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:21:09 am »

I want to be able to play music files in the format in which they were recorded without upsampling.  My DAC is  a Wavelength Cosecant that is 32/192 capable and under Windows Advanced DAC properties I have it set at 24/192 with check marks in "Allow allications to take exclusive control" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority". I can play 16/44 files through it from Windows Media Player with no problem.  In Media Center I have it set at Wasapi Event Style and checks by open device for exclusive mode and present 24 bit as 32 bit.  But I have to upsample everything to 192 or I get an error message.  Can I avoid this upsampling?

GW,

If you have a Cosecant v3 with the Denominator module it will still only do 24/96. If you have the HS Cosecant it will register as 24/192. The reason being that if we enable 32 on some applications/OS's the result would not be bit true.

The first question is what error message are you getting. Without that we cannot really tell what other options you have set or need to set.

Thanks
Gordon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WavelengthAudio.com
USBdacs.com
Guitar-Engines.com

Gwilson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:03 am »

I have V3 Denominator.  My Windows version is Vista 64 bit. 

When I set the output format settings all to "No Change" I get this message when I play anything that is listed as 44 or 96 (titles showing as 192 work fine) :

The mixing format of your hardware does not support the current output format.

Please use the "Output Format" tool in DSP studio to convert to the mixing format listed below:
Sample Rate 192000 Hz
Channels 2
Bits per sample 32

When I hit OK I then get a new message that says something went wrong in playback

Details:
Playback could not be started on the output "Wasapi - Event Style" using the format 44.1 Hz 24 bit sch

This output may not be supported by your hardware.  You can use DSP studio to change output to a compatible format.

Also make sure that your system has a valid playback device and that it is properly confirgured in playback options.

Hope that helps. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »

The mixing format of your hardware does not support the current output format.

Please use the "Output Format" tool in DSP studio to convert to the mixing format listed below:
Sample Rate 192000 Hz
Channels 2
Bits per sample 32

When I hit OK I then get a new message that says something went wrong in playback

I believe you only see this if you don't enable exclusive output.

Double-check that this is selected:
Options > Audio > Output mode settings... > Open device for exclusive access

Without this, the only way for WASAPI output is for the program to mix to the system format (which you have set to 192 kHz).  With exclusive output enabled, it should switch the hardware format.

Gwilson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »

That was it.  I view this PC on my big screen TV and the square was blue, so I thought it was enabled.  I do have an appointment with my eye doctor in 2 weeks, so I guess that appointment is overdue.

Thanks again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:08:18 am »

Glad you got it working.

Enjoy the music :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up