INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder Structure  (Read 1192 times)

dgamlen

• Recent member
Folder Structure
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »

Hello All,

I will be upgrading for 14 to 18 this week.  I have about 500G of classical music organized in a fairly elaborate (thanks to my very German brother-in-law) system of folders and subfolders.  Version 14 was not able to import all of the collection into the library.  I believe it had something to do with the structure but not sure.  Will version 18 sort through the complexity of the folders and organize everything correctly?  Or is it better to simply transfer everything to one folder?  The folder structure has come in handy when I can't find something in a MC search so it would be nice.  There are a lot of German titles that MC did not recognize.

Thank you,
Duncan

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Folder Structure
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:06 am »

You should keep your structure. Only problem that you can get is if the file paths is way to long. A full path can not be longer than xx number of characters. While you import or edit your library tags, the folder structure can be used to set the correct tags. Either automatically or manually. So, you should not destroy your previous work. Shortening down the folder names might be necessary though. You'll find out soon enough when you import it all.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:39:40 am »

In case it helps, I think that the maximum path length before things start to get truncated or have issues is 256 characters. Classical music seems to be very prone to this for a variety of reasons.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:35:11 am »

Definitely!

MC can parse the information in your folder structure and save it into the Database.  It has a very powerful parsing tool called Fill Properties from Filename, which can get pretty much anything you want and save it to any "tags" you want in the system.

It also doesn't care where the files are, and won't "reorganize" them unless you want it to.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dgamlen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:01:53 pm »

Thank you all for your very informative and useful comments.  I will let you know how it goes.

Duncan
Pages: [1]   Go Up