INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 problem  (Read 2692 times)

jfpmft

• Recent member
MC 18 problem
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:52:25 pm »

I have been using MC since version 15 or 16. I now got version 18 and when I open it up I get the following message "There was a problem retrieving files from the selected DLNA server. Please ensure that the server you are connected to supports search, and that it is running properly. Your library may be incomplete until you correct the problem and reload tge library." When I initially got JRiver MC I had been using the Logitech interface to stream my audio files directly to my audio systems (main or secondary). With the help of MrC, I got the system set up and running with Whitebear to access my files (shared in one location by Sqeezebox server, iTunes and MediaMonkey). It was working sporadically but since I upgraded to MC18. I do not see the zones as I did with the previous versions.

Right now I use the Squeezebox to stream/listen to my files on my audio systems with no problems. Of course the location of my audio files has not changed.

Every time I listen, I first try the MC way but it never works. I the go to Squeezebox server wondering why I paid for an application I cannot use...

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 18 problem
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:34 am »

First of, try to specify the problems in the topic. That gives you better hits and better answers. Secondly, you need to ensure that the MC on the server works correctly. THEN you can try to connect with other clients and devices to test playback.

What you've described is so vague that I doubt anyone have the answer right now. You'll have to do some more testing and setup config on the server first. Post the results and problems you might encounter, and you'll get help.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:43:59 am »

This sounds like a Windows firewall problem.  Try disabling it entirely and test in that mode.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jfpmft

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:43:08 pm »

I disabled the firewall and rebooted. Loaded MC and then Whitebear. Still no zones and no playing through audio system. It plays through my computer but the speakers suck! Any other suggestion?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:21:11 pm »

Can you provide screenshots of Whitebear's Status tab?

Also, of MC's expanded Media Network setup page?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jfpmft

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:03:49 pm »

Attached is screen shot of Whitebear Status tab. Others to follow.

jfpmft

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 11:05:53 pm »

Attached is Media Network setup page

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:26:22 am »

Attached is screen shot of Whitebear Status tab. Others to follow.

Ok. I see from the Whitebear status tab that you have two Squeeze players and one library "Jac's Library". So let us do a few tests:

Test #1: Test the UPnP Discovery process
When you start MC it will scan the network looking for UPnP devices, and after about one to two minutes, any such devices will show in MC's Now Playing list. You should see your two players "Name (by Whitebear)" and also the library "Jac's Library (by Whitebear)". See attached screenshot from my own installation. => Please let me know what you see.

Test #2: Test network connection & server stability
Over a period of (say) 30 minutes, do the above "Name (by Whitebear)" devices remain solid in MC, or do they come and go?

Test #3: Test the UPnP Description process
Assuming you are running Windows 7, 8 or Vista. On the machine where MC is running, open Windows Explorer | Network. Do the above "Name (by Whitebear)" devices appear under Media Devices? If so, then right click one of them and select Properties. => What do you see? Also right click and select View Device Web Page (something like that). => What do you see?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jfpmft

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 06:50:59 pm »

Test results
Test #1: neither player is loaded. The Status tab now says under IP Address "Socket Error # 10061 / Connection redused" and the rest of the page lists nothing. See attachment.
Test #2: see above
Test #3: No. I do see "MC for SB" listed under Media Devices and that is all. (see screen shot to follow)

jfpmft

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 06:52:50 pm »

Here is the screenshot of Playing Now...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 01:12:58 am »

Test results
nothing. See attachment.

Sharp intake of breath. This is a completely different error than what you indicated before; the message means the Whitebear tray monitor can't talk to the Whitebear service; it says that something on your PC is fairly sick; and there are serveral possible reasons:

• The PC on which Whitebear service, Whitebear tray monitor and LMS are running, may have a problem with its network; even though these three applications are on the same machine, they talk to each other via the TCP/IP stack inside that machine. Possible causes of internal TCP/IP stack problems are: a) problem with network card, b) problem with network drivers, c) lock down due to a firewall or anti virus application.

• The Whitebear service may simply not be running: Possible causes of this are: a) Whitebear service is missing (i.e. WhitebearService.exe deleted or not installed), b) Whitebear service is present but not running (check Windows | Services), c) Whitebear service has been frozen or quarantined by a firewall or anti virus application.

• Whitebear service is installed and running, however it has put itself offline (Whitebear service only puts itself offline whenever LMS goes offline, or when Squeezeplayers connected to LMS appear or disappear). If this turns out to be the case, then you need to check your LMS installation, remove any bad plug-ins and check the stability of your players and their connection to LMS.

Note that in the case where Whitebear has put itself offline, it could be a temporaray issue, and it could be worth waiting 3..4 minutes for the issue to resolve itself, at which point Whitebear will bring itself back back online.

Please let me know which of the above cases applies.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

jfpmft

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 10:58:07 am »

I finally got it going with a couple of problems. (1) There is a long pause between selections playing, longer than what I would get playing a CD for example. (2) how do I delete duplicates in the library? The same selection shows up twice in the track listing.

I'm not sure which of the scenarios you described applied to my problem.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 09:26:51 am »

I finally got it going with a couple of problems. (1) There is a long pause between selections playing, longer than what I would get playing a CD for example. (2) how do I delete duplicates in the library? The same selection shows up twice in the track listing.
I'm not sure which of the scenarios you described applied to my problem.

I am glad you got it working.

Concerning the long intertrack pauses: In MC right click on "Your Player (by Whitebear)" | DLNA Controller Options | Uncheck Disable SetNext support. 1) I think it requires MC18 and you also need to have a reasonably up to date version of Whitebear too.

Concerning the duplicates in your library: This has nothing to do with Whitebear...

1) MC still has an issue with SetNext breaking once you have pressed the Seek Next or Seek Previous buttons. However if you let the playlist play through naturally, or if you only use the time slider for seeking, this will eliminate the gaps. Note that bob has been informed about the problem with the Seek Next or Seek Previous buttons, and it is presumambly on his to do list...

Pages: [1]   Go Up