INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Celine Dion BluRay Stuttering & Audio/Video Out Of Sync - Solved  (Read 5896 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Celine Dion BluRay Stuttering & Audio/Video Out Of Sync - Solved
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:28:09 pm »

We don't have a lot of BluRays yet, but those we have play fine except Celine Dion: A New Day - Live IN Las Vegas. It has constant stutter, or jerkiness (whatever is the right term) and the audio/video are way out of sync. Something that may be related is the Compression Tag shows: "bdmv video (video:WVC1, Audio: unknown codec)".

When we play it the OSD for Audio shows English True HD 96,000 Hz 5.1 s24. The audio is great BTW. I have tried 'Library Tools -> Update Library from Tags', but that did not change the tag.

We normally run ROHQ and never have any problems. I tried this one with RO Standard and the stuttering got way better, but the audio is still out of sync. CPU with Standard is around 30-40% and with HQ around 40-50%. Other BluRays are around 30-40%. HTPC is a 2 year old quad core. Not a server client config.

Could the Codec info in the tag be part of the problem, or might it be something else?

Thanks for any help.

Rod

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Celine Dion BluRay Stuttering & Audio/Video Out Of Sync
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:37:41 am »

I saw this yesterday and see you still have no replies.

I think that MC has built in code to persuade us not to play Celine Dion stuff, and this is what you are experiencing. MC is protecting you :D

On a more serious note, I've no idea why you are experiencing the problems that you are, but perhaps my little bit of fun in bumping for you will get you a more constructive reply...

Nathan's pretty good with the old BluRays...

-marko

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:01:16 am »

Thanks marko (is the Old for me or MC17?).... anyway,  ;D

Hi Rod, You have a Music BD that will have been recorded as Interlaced (you movies will all be progressive and FYI many TV shows will also be interlaced).  This interlaced content puts another hit on your GPU which can push it over the edge, but a few questions first:
- What is the actual BD called? (Celine Dion has pumped a few out)
- What is the GPU that you have?
- I presume there is also a 2.0 PCM track, is that also out of sync?
- Are you bitstreaming or (hopefully) decoding the audio in MC (Tools --> Options --> Audio --> Settings --> Bitstreaming: None)
- Do you have MC set to switch Refresh Rates (Tools --> Options --> Video --> Display Settings)?
- Do you have Video Clock on (Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings)?

MC's Codec Info is not being populated for some codecs but this has nothing to do with the playback issue (this missing Codec Info has been around for ages).

As per another thread on 1080i in the MC18 forum you can try a couple of things (if it turns out you are GPU bound).  To test bring up the madVR OSD when playing various files and I bet you see that the render queue drops to 0 on some material (like your Celine Dion disc).  Next, go into madVR's options and under the scaling algorithms change the chroma upscaling to Mitchell-Netravali and see how it now goes and if you are still OK with the change in image quality.  You can also try turning off deinterlacing in madVR (processing settings), and also off in MC so the CPU not the GPU does this but the GPU does a much better job (adaptive VS YADIF).
JRiver CEO Elect

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:11:45 am »

I saw this yesterday and see you still have no replies.

I think that MC has built in code to persuade us not to play Celine Dion stuff, and this is what you are experiencing. MC is protecting you :D

On a more serious note, I've no idea why you are experiencing the problems that you are, but perhaps my little bit of fun in bumping for you will get you a more constructive reply...

Nathan's pretty good with the old BluRays...

-marko

Hi Marko,

Thanks a bunch for the great post. Proves that a little humor can sometimes do wonders. But you better be careful about putting "Old" and "Nathan" in the same sentence!

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:08:51 am »

Hi Nathan,

Thanks very much for the super post.

- What is the actual BD called? (Celine Dion has pumped a few out)
     'Live in Las Vegas'

- What is the GPU that you have?
     Asus 550Ti, bought on your being pleased with a 550Ti a year or so ago.
- I presume there is also a 2.0 PCM track, is that also out of sync?
     Yes & yes.
- Are you bitstreaming or (hopefully) decoding the audio in MC (Tools --> Options --> Audio --> Settings --> Bitstreaming: None)
     No Bitstreaming. (It's under Video BTW.)
- Do you have MC set to switch Refresh Rates (Tools --> Options --> Video --> Display Settings)?
     Yes
- Do you have Video Clock on (Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings)?
     No

It's possible our problem is caused by higher than normal CPU activity. Lately we have been getting a lot of temporary freezes in MC with the little blue circle or the warning messages about MC not functioning. We have recently moved a lot of our files to different hard drives and for some reason Comskip is running most of the time, consuming quite a bit of CPU.

So when I get some time later I'm going to figure out how to shutdown Comskip - doing it via Task Manager it restarts right away. I'll also try the things you suggested.

It still seems odd that our few other BDs are fine - just this one is giving a problem.

Thanks again for the help.

Rod

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:02:50 am »

No Bitstreaming. (It's under Video BTW.)
It was moved in MC18 to its more logical location under Audio. Why don't you try the 30 day trial for MC18 and see if the Blu-ray plays fine.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:11:28 am »

Concerts are usually interlaced, so my guess is that its VC-1 interlaced, which is one of the harder formats to decode.

Do you have HW accelerated decoding on, and tried with it on/off instead?
Without knowing what CPU you have, from the CPU load, its most likely off. If its a dual core, a 40-50% CPU can mean that you're maxing out one core, causing occasional glitches, on quad core it could even be maxing out two cores, which is even worse.

Turning HW decoding on can help greatly, the NVIDIA Cards should do fine with LAVs CUVID decoder.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »

The 550Ti is fine with madVR on VC1 1080i material such as this... but does not have enough punch to run the newer scaling algorithm Jinc3 with AR on.  What scaling settings are you using in madVR?

Also to see if you are GPU bound, check the madVR OSD to see if you have any frame dropping issues, or run "nvidia inspector" and it will show what % the gpu is being used.

If you change bitstreaming to NONE how does the sync go?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 03:28:55 pm »

It was moved in MC18 to its more logical location under Audio. Why don't you try the 30 day trial for MC18 and see if the Blu-ray plays fine.

mojave - Thanks for the MC18 suggestion. I bought it when it first came out but have held off installing it because our HTPC is used almost every night and for matrimonial harmony I need a fairly clean running system! It's sounding more and more like 18 is ready for prime time so I will switch soon. Then perhaps I can again contribute a few of my two-bits-worths to the Beta Thread.

Is there a fairly uncomplicated way to have MC 17 & 18 running on the same machine? From what I've read it doesn't seem like it.

nevcairel & jmone - Thanks a lot for all the things to check out. So wondering if I should do all that before the MC18 upgrade, or just after if I still have a problem? If it would be any kind of help to either of you I could do it while I still have 17 online.

I still need to disable Comskip to see if lowery CPU usage helps.

Thanks again, guys! Sure is great to have some of the heavy hitters trying to help.

Cheers,
Rod

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:05:39 pm »

In addition to changes in MC18 it also has newer builds of LAV and madVR so it will be easier to diagnose on MC18, and the upgrade from 17 to 18 was fine for me.  That said I don't think the upgrade to MC18 on its own will "fix" you Celine issue, but at least we will all be on the same versions, discussing the same options etc etc...  Also I would not be surprised to see that Marko's suggestion that it is a feature in MC to protect users from Celine Dion in general!
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:01:34 pm »

Is there a fairly uncomplicated way to have MC 17 & 18 running on the same machine? From what I've read it doesn't seem like it.
It takes just seconds to have MC18 installed and using the library and settings from MC17. There have been changes to Theater View templates but that might not affect you. The main issue is that tags won't get updated in MC17 when using MC18 and vice versa. If you are concerned about stuff like playcount, date last viewed, etc. then you should just start using MC18 for everything. You can use MC18 for testing and MC17 for daily stuff and then export the MC17 library and import into MC18 when you are ready to make the switch.

If you are concerned about keeping your MC Beta User status, then I would switch to MC18 immediately.  :P

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 06:03:16 pm »

Okay, I'll be switching to MC18 this weekend. That way if any problems appear I'll have some time to work on them. I'll hold of doing any more checking on this problem in 17.

Also I would not be surprised to see that Marko's suggestion that it is a feature in MC to protect users from Celine Dion in general!

Looks like I'll have to send Jim & Matt a nastygram over their Celine bug in MC.

If you are concerned about keeping your MC Beta User status, then I would switch to MC18 immediately.  :P

Boy, never thought you'd be such a hard a**!

Thanks to all of you for all your efforts on this. I'll get back here once MC18 is running and I check things out this weekend.

Cheers,
Rod

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »

VC-1 interlaced video has always been a major playback problem for me.
Look here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75578.0

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 01:24:39 am »

I wouldn't recode a movie just because its VC-1 interlaced. Decoding is fine these days, it just needs a half-decent CPU, or a GPU with proper decoding capapbilities.
The 550 can use proper HW decoding, so the CPU isn't needed. I've had no problems with VC-1 interlaced and the NVIDIA CUVID decoder.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:33:03 am »

VC-1 interlaced video has always been a major playback problem for me.
Look here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75578.0

Thanks for the info. That's quite a procedure you go through. I'm hoping that I wont have to go to that extent to make it work properly.

Still plan on working on it this weekend. Will update to MC18 and if still have a problem will go through the checks that have been suggested in this thread.

Rod

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 11:44:14 pm »

I wouldn't recode a movie just because its VC-1 interlaced. Decoding is fine these days, it just needs a half-decent CPU, or a GPU with proper decoding capabilities.
The 550 can use proper HW decoding, so the CPU isn't needed. I've had no problems with VC-1 interlaced and the NVIDIA CUVID decoder.

I have found that I get a better image if I deinterlace offline (not during real time playback). A more intensive and time consuming process can be used that analyzes and deinterlaces the video.

My Intel HD 4000 graphics also seem to work best with graphics encoded as H.264. Video files take up much less disk space and look great too.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 05:18:29 pm »

Good Progress!

I upgraded to MC 18 and interestingly that also solved the stuttering, but not the sync problem. Before doing this work today I disabled Comskip to lower CPU usage, but still had both issues..

After running it with MC18 I turned on Hardware Decoding. Also downloaded and ran NVidea Inspector. Thanks jmone, cool little app! With Hardware Decoding on everything looks good: No stuttering on sync problems.

But I'm a little concerned with GPU temp. While playing Celine it ran up to 72C. As soon as I stopped playing temp lowered and settled around 52C with nothing playing. While playing GPU usage ran from 80-95%, so it looks like this BD is pushing things hard. Even 52C seems hot to me, but are these temps a concern?

With other BDs and HD TV recordings GPU ran mostly between 65% & 75% and temp aroun 62C. With standard def stuff GPU usage dropped way down.

jmone, you suggested I try several things in Reply #2. Any reason to try any one them now?

So thanks very much everyone for all your help. Looks like I have a winning combination now, as long as the GPU doesn't fry!

And mojave I think I'll stick with MC 18 now so you don't have to turn me in to the Beta Monitors. BTW the little I've done thus far with 18 it looks real good. And of course for whatever reason it fixed half of my problem.

Cheers,
Rod

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 07:16:23 pm »

The temps of the GPU are fine and as you see while the 1080i pushes the 550Ti it is within its limits.  I don't get why you have lip sync on this disc however.  Can you try turning off Bitstreaming and see what happens.

Edit - if you are saying that there is no stuttering with HW Acell ON then all is good!
JRiver CEO Elect

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 08:03:15 pm »

The temps of the GPU are fine and as you see while the 1080i pushes the 550Ti it is within its limits.  I don't get why you have lip sync on this disc however.  Can you try turning off Bitstreaming and see what happens.

Edit - if you are saying that there is no stuttering with HW Acell ON then all is good!

Just the upgrade to MC18 solved the stuttering problem. Turning On hardware acceleration solved the sync problem. So definitely all is good!

I never did have bitstreaming on.

Glad you feel the temps are okay. I did a little research and that's the same conclusion I came to. Unfortunately the Asus site doesn't give the max for this board, but everything I read elsewhere implies that 70-80C is fine, some even run it at 90.

Thanks again for all your help!

Cheers,
Rod

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Celine Dion BluRay Stuttering & Audio/Video Out Of Sync - Solved
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:48 pm »

No probs - glad it is working!
JRiver CEO Elect

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 12:07:59 pm »

Just tried this video as the original format VC-1 interlaced and it plays fine in MC18.70. In the past VC-1 interlaced files were problematic.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »

Just tried this video as the original format VC-1 interlaced and it plays fine in MC18.70. In the past VC-1 interlaced files were problematic.

Something in MC18 solved the stuttering problem when I upgraded from MC17. Sounds like same for you. Maybe this improvement with eliminate a lot of the work you've been doing for VC-1s.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up