INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 unable to play 24bit through WASAPI  (Read 12154 times)

Hobgoblinpie

• Recent member
Windows 8 unable to play 24bit through WASAPI
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »

I'm not sure whether this is a problem with Windows 8 or MC18, however with Windows 7 I had absolutely no trouble.

I've set the sound output through the control panel to combinations of bit-depth and sample rates, and if I choose WASAPI (or the event-style), it will be unable to output in any format besides Redbook (16bit 44.1khz). This goes for all of my 24bit music (I had just assumed it was unwilling to upconvert, but it seems playing 24bit in general causes problems).

Using DirectSound, I can output 24bit, but for obvious reasons, I'd prefer to use WASAPI to manage the output.

Any ideas?

dav_jw

Re: Windows 8 unable to play 24bit through WASAPI
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 03:15:33 pm »

Don't know if this was solved of not, but I recently installed windows 8 on my media server and I'm now seeing the same issue. WASAPI simply won't work with 24 bits audio. Have to use DSP Studio to change the bitdepth to 16 bits. 24bits (converted to 16 bits)/96kHz tracks work fine, without resampling.  Not sure if this is a W8 or MC18 issue, was working fine on W7 with MC17. The exact MC version is 18.0.78, if this helps.

Edit: Found a solution! Enabling "Present 24 bit data in a 32 bit package (required by some hardware)" in WASAPI options solved this issue. I can't explain why, my DAC isn't even 32 bits compatible, but it seems to be working fine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 03:18:34 pm »

24-bit WASAPI (using exclusive mode) is working on Windows 8 here.

Maybe check for updated audio drivers.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dav_jw

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:22:04 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply, found a solution. Awesome support and program, BTW. ;D

shAf

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:42:19 pm »

I don't know that I'd associate it solely with Win8 ... I just fried a HD track with MC17+Win7 and got the same result. I'll try the  "24bit in 32 bit package" and report back ...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »

... I just tried a HD track with MC17+Win7 and got the same result. I'll try the  "24bit in 32 bit package" and report back ...
As it turns out, "24bit in a 32bit package" was already enabled, and disabling it did not work either ... MC17 would simply report "... not possible ..." when it encountered a 24bit track and offer to "cancel playback".

There are a number of options I could try, but I would like to know what I'm doing, and why I'm doing it.  It just doesn't seem right to not use WASAPI, and I don't know what "exclusive mode" is or why "event style" should work(?)  Please advise ...

TIA  :)

cfelliot

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 11:11:49 am »

Just installed MC on a new Windows 8 HTPC I built. I'm having the same problem.

Although the sound control panel will play a 192kHz/24bit test, MC will not. Using WASAPI in exclusive mode.

cfelliot

• Recent member
SOLVED: Windows 8 unable to play 24bit through WASAPI
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:19:15 pm »

I kept thinking that this was a Windows 8 problem. I had just built up a system using the same Z77 chipset Gigabyte motherboard with Windows 7 and it worked perfectly.

Issue was that I never loaded the motherboard supplied audio drivers and it seems that the defaults that come with Windows 8 were the issue.

All works fine now!!!!

shAf

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:30 am »

... Using WASAPI in exclusive mode.

Where do you set "exclusive" mode? ... all I see is "event style", and I have no idea what that means or what it's good for(?)

TIA  :)

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 05:28:10 am »

Where do you set "exclusive" mode?

Exclusive Mode in JRiver WASAPI Output:

Exclusive Mode in Windows Sound:

Hobgoblinpie

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 01:50:16 pm »

I forgot to reply, but I got it to work, finally.

For some reason, when I upgraded to Windows 8, the settings would no longer work as before.

So, I had to turn 'Present 24bit data in a 32-bit package' on (even for 16bit stuff, when I had set the DSP output to 'Source bit-depth', which confused me). Some of my other music wouldn't play, but it turned out to be 48khz stuff, so just told DSP to convert it down to 44.1khz. Not an ideal solution, but considering that most of my music is in Redbook, I'm not too fussed - at least 24bit playback now works.

At the moment I don't have a DAC, but I'm looking into purchasing one, so this issue should be resolved soon.

gruvytune

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 02:05:04 am »

I've been having same issues.
Playing spdif optical out to my Musical Fidelity A324 DAC
The only way I was able to get 24/96 flacs or ALAC/M4a  files to play was to check the Present 24 bit data in a 32 bit package button.
Otherwise it errors out.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:41:14 pm »

Did my original W8 install using the driver disk that came with my Gigabyte motherboard. Come to find out, that's an XP64 package. Worked fine though. Couple video issues the other day, so I took the opportunity to download a New! Improved?? W8 package, installed that, and the fun began.

Audio went straight south. Many dropouts in MC, then it just gave up and said my hardware didn't support better than Redbook resolution. Harumph, I say, as it'd been doing fine at 96/24 prior to the upgrade.

Pillaged the device and driver tables, then reinstalled the XP64 driver set. Reboot, and there was dancing and jubilation in sKiZoLand.

So, something else to add to the list of possibilities when W8 decides it doesn't want to play nice.

PS ... Optical out worked fine with either driver set - it was the USB (Tenor) connection that went wonkie. I prefer that as it's a sweeter sound and less "technical" than the optical.

Pages: [1]   Go Up