INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1080i ROHQ recorded playback issue  (Read 1677 times)

polemides

• Recent member
1080i ROHQ recorded playback issue
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:07:04 pm »

So I just downloaded .70 and this 'ol problem reared its ugly head again (hasn't happened in a couple of builds):

Whenever I play back a 1080i TV program, I get the intermittent black screen / flashing effect that I encountered a couple of builds ago. It does not happen with 720p recordings OR live TV in any resolution. The problem goes away when I select RO - Standard instead of ROHQ. I'm guessing that madVR has something to do with it, but perhaps I'm not understanding one or possibly all of the following items:

1) are live TV broadcasts not being run through the same filter(s) as recorded TV? Is there something different about playing back a 1080i recording off of a hard drive?

2) if madVR and / or de-interlace settings are the problem, is there a way to disable de-interlacing without doing a separate install of madVR?

3) is there a custom setting where I can just enable ROHQ for Blu-Ray and DVD playback? I looked at the custom window but didn't quite figure out how I could make this happen...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try switching from JTV to TS and see if that makes a difference, and will report back.

Tim

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: 1080i ROHQ recorded playback issue
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:06:35 pm »

Hi Tim,
Firstly, if you don't see any visual improvement of ROHQ then just use RO, kick back and enjoy.  You don't mention what the GPU is that you are using (madVR needs a quick DDR5 based GPU for many of its scaling activities and the deinterlacing just adds more burden) ...but you can tweak some of the madVR settings if needed (eg when using the iGPU on my i7 I'd turn the scaling to MN as anything Tap based scaling was just tooo much for this GPU).  Finally you could use the custom approach but it may not be worth the stuffing around as if the GPU is too weak there will always be exceptions you are trying to work around.
JRiver CEO Elect

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:58:05 pm »

Hi thanks for responding jmone.

Forget to mention my CPU / GPU specs:

Core i5-3450 3.1 Ghz Ivy Bridge
XFX GT640

A DDR3 card not a DDR5 card, but your guess is as good as mine...

There's not a noticeable improvement from RO vs. ROHQ on broadcast TV, but I do have to say that Blu-Ray playback looks AWESOMER (a word that I've just made up) with ROHQ vs. RO. No dice on the TS experiment vice JTV...same problem manifests.

Thanks for your time.

Tim

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:54:31 pm »

Unfortunately.... I think you will find the 640 will limit what you can do in madVR.  To test bring up the madVR OSD when playing various files and I bet you see that the render queue drops to 0 on some material (like your 1080i stuff).  Next, go into madVR's options and under the scaling algorithms change the chroma upscaling to Mitchell-Netravali and see how it now goes and if you are still OK with the image quality.  You can also try turning off deinterlacing in madVR (processing settings), and also off in MC so the CPU not the GPU does this but the GPU does a much better job (adaptive VS YADIF).
JRiver CEO Elect

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »

Thanks for the info. I'll mess around with the settings and see if that helps. Otherwise I'll just go with RO - Standard and call it a day.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up