INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dnla server downsampling flacs  (Read 1002 times)

special.fx

Dnla server downsampling flacs
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:21:51 pm »

Hi, i'm new here, i've been looking at the forums for a while, though i never got to make a account until now.

I have both media center 17 and 18 installed (and paid for), and i'm playing all my music through a streamer (pioneer n-50). In the dnla options, i use the settings '' Convert unsupported formats'' and the encoder as ''uncompressed'' . Everything works fine until i decide to play some of the few 24bit flacs or ape that i have, because then the media server downsamples those tracks to 16bit, so on my streamer i see 192/16, rather than 192/24.

Btw my dac supports 192/32, so the real issue is the server, does anyone have a clue what i should do ??

I've tried to use the ''never convert'' option, though it fixes the issue above, my dac doesn't support some formats, which is why i need this to work, thanks in advance!

cheers

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Dnla server downsampling flacs
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:46:42 am »

When looking at the tech specs on the Pioneer homepage, it tells that the n-50 supports 192/24 and handles that as 192/32 internally.
My guess is that the n-50 'only' supports 192/24.
Did you try the 24-bit encoder choices ? Eventually together with the Always convert option.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dnla server downsampling flacs
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:48:08 am »

I have both media center 17 and 18 installed (and paid for), and i'm playing all my music through a streamer (pioneer n-50). In the dnla options, i use the settings '' Convert unsupported formats'' and the encoder as ''uncompressed'' . Everything works fine until i decide to play some of the few 24bit flacs or ape that i have, because then the media server downsamples those tracks to 16bit, so on my streamer i see 192/16, rather than 192/24.

Btw my dac supports 192/32, so the real issue is the server, does anyone have a clue what i should do ??

I've tried to use the ''never convert'' option, though it fixes the issue above, my dac doesn't support some formats, which is why i need this to work, thanks in advance!

Hoping that bob is reading this...

The OP's post supports my argument that you really ought to offer the choice "Always Convert Flac" in addition to the current Always Convert L16, L24 or Mp3 choices. { IMHO if a renderer manufacturer cares enough about supporting high bit rate / high sample rate audio, then he is pretty likely to support playing flac natively too... }

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up