INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on the spinning up of my server drives  (Read 1431 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Question on the spinning up of my server drives
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »

I started JR and went to browse my videos.  All my movies and music are stored on my Unraid Server, I have 10 drives in it.  Once I start browsing my movies, JR freezes up and I can see all my drives start spinning up.  So obviously JR is doing something but I'm just not sure what exactly.

Is it trying to update tags?  Is it grabbing the dvd cover art?  What exactly does JR do at startup or later on in Theaterview?  If it is trying to read the dvd cover art, is there a way to copy it to my local drive and have it use that?  The only drive that should spin up should be the one for where the specific movie I play is stored.

The other thing I noticed is that one of my drives seems to be accessed quite frequently and the drive is the one that contains my music files.  I checked all the files and they all have their tags and cover art. I also made sure to cover all the cover art to my JR\cover art folder.

So what exactly is JR doing and is there a way to stop it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question on the spinning up of my server drives
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:09:53 pm »

10 drives spinning up might take a little time.

Is your library on a local drive?

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 01:54:46 pm »

Well I would have assumed the library would be created on my local drive as a default.  How can I check where the library is installed?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 05:19:26 pm »

You can create a library in any location you wish with the Library Manager. If you haven't it should be at the default location.

To check where its located, click on Playing Now, Choose Playing from ... and choose Main Library. In the main window it should say something like 'Main Library' is a local library located at 'C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Library at the top.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 09:02:14 am »

Yup, main library is on my local drive.  Here's another example, I had JR open and put my pc to sleep. When it awoke, all my network drives spun up.  I never had this problem with WMC + MyMovies.  

Another item I noticed.  When viewing my music in Artist view, the screen shows 8 columns by 3 rows, as I scroll down and new artists populate the view, the server drive where the music is stored is accessed as the views come up.  Each time I go down a row or two, the drive is accessed.  I checked the \coverart folder and I can definitely see the cover art there.  So why is it accessing the drive?

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:28:51 pm »

OK figured out that there is an option under Tools to go through the files and build cache.  I did this and it appears to have solved my problem with the music.  It doesn't appear to build any cache files for my video files though.  Not sure why though.  It would be a good idea if it did.

Is there a way to copy all the dvd cover art to my local drive?
Pages: [1]   Go Up