INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having problems watching standard dvd 480p content  (Read 4108 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Having problems watching standard dvd 480p content
« on: November 10, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »

When I try to watch standard dvd 480p tv shows that are on my network drive, they are really choppy.  Blu ray plays perfectly fine though.  I'm using the ROHQ.

I switched to WMC and TMT and played the same movie and it plays perfectly fine.  Is there some setting I need to change?

I switched to RO Standard and 480p content plays fine.  I find it odd that 1080p plays fine with ROHQ but 480p doesn't.  Is it trying to upconvert the 480p?  Is there something I can do to fix this other than using RO Standard?  I do like how ROHQ looks.

I have an i5 CPU.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Having problems watching standard dvd 480p content
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 03:01:01 pm »

Yes, it needs to upconvert the 480p to your display resolution, most like 1080p, which needs more performance then running straight 1080p without any up or downconversion.

I assume you're using the integrated Intel GPU that comes with your i5?
With that GPU, you may need to change the madVR settings in ROHQ because the defaults may be too demanding.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »

That's correct, I'm using the integrated cpu.

Is there a way to not upconvert the 480p and still keep most of the ROHQ settings?  Is the RO Standard upconverting as well just not applying as aggressive filters etc?

Is there anything that lists the differences between ROHQ and Standard?

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:27:33 pm »

Oops didn't read your response properly.  You indicated to change the defaults for ROHQ.  How do I do that and what do I change?

Edit:  Just wanted to add that my desktop settings are 1920x1080p 60 as that's the best my tv supports.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:19:08 pm »

When the video is playing, right click on it --> Direct Show Filters --> madVR.  Initially try changing your Scaling Algorithms to Mitchell-Netravali (these require much less GPU overhead).
JRiver CEO Elect

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »

Thanks on that!  I changed the upscalling to Mitchell-Netravali and that did the trick.  Do I also need to change the Chroma to MN or can I leave that at Lanczos?

Do the scaling algorithms go in order of increasing GPU need?  In other words should I go down the list to see how far I can get before stuttering starts or should I just leave it at MN?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:02:37 pm »

I found that the iGPU are normally too weak to do any scaling (reliably) with any of the ones that use "Taps".  I settled on MN for all the scaling options but have a play and see what you like the look of (there is no right or wrong just preferences on these).
JRiver CEO Elect

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »

I have to say, the MN algorithm is doing a pretty good job?  Just curious, is there any way to turn of the upscaling in total for 480p content?  It would be nice if the system could switch algorithms depending on whether or not upscaling is required.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:10:19 pm »

I think I spoke to soon.  I was able to watch an episode using the MN algorithm just fine, although it did seem to stutter briefly every 10min or so.  However when the episode ended and I tried to watch another episode, the stuttering was back.  I switched to Lanczos while the video was playing but it made no diff, then switch back to MN and still no difference.  Stuttering nonetheless. 

I guess I have to switch to standard when watching movies and hq for blu ray or buy a gpu.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 07:21:51 pm »

You have to scale both the "Image" from what ever the resolution is to what ever the screen is set at.  In addition, even if the resolution of the image and the screen is the same, you will have to scale the chroma as it is stored at a lower resolution.  Try MN for both.  If you are seeing a periodic regular stutter it could be a different issue of the refresh rate not matching the frequency of the TV...but first things first, concentrate of what tweaks you need to get video playing.  At the end of the day the iGPU is pretty weak so you may find the compromise of turning down the options makes a real GPU look good.  I did run my HTPC on the i7 - iGPU 3000 just fine on MN in but with Exclusive Mode ON.
JRiver CEO Elect

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 07:49:17 pm »

Well just switching to MN didn't help, it was stuttering frequently.  On a whim, I unchecked the Use Hardware Acceleration when possible setting under the RO setting and the stuttering went away after I restarted MC.  I checked the cpu usage and it hits a high of 8% so...I think I'm good for now.  I'm going to try going back to Lanczos later.  I think I'm going to relax and watch a few shows for the night.

I appreciate your help! :)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 10:47:49 pm »

Well turning off HW acceleration helped a bit but not enough.  I think in the end I'll just have to switch between RO Standard and ROHQ depending on what I'm watching.  Thankfully I mostly watch blu ray movies so shouldn't be that big a deal.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 03:05:26 am »

Have you had a look at the MadVR OSD screen whilst playing a problem DVD clip?

Press Ctrl-J and a bunch of numbers should come up in the top left corner. (if it doesn't then do a Ctrl-J whilst the MadVR choices window is up). Ctrl-J gets rid of it again.

Post a screenshot of the corner. It'll give some valuable debug info.

SBR

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 10:33:21 am »

Did you do any experiments with the Options/Video/Display Settings feature ?
In there you can make MC change display resolution to match the video. That way your gpu won't have to struggle that much. Choose a resolution that is supported natively in your display.
A setting also worth to check, is the MadVR start in exclusive mode option. It should be on.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »

Ok, well a couple of things.

First off I can't get the CTRL-J to work.  I tried various options but none work.  I right clicked the display while the tv show was playing and selected MadVR, then hit CTRL-J but it didn't work.  I also tried just hitting CTRL-J at various points but still nothing.

I tried both Full screen exclusive and non exclusive mode but that didn't help either.

Not sure why I can't get CTRL-J to work.  Seems odd.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 07:45:46 am »

Not sure why I can't get CTRL-J to work.  Seems odd.
How odd.  ?
I'll try later with the latest version and see if I get the same problem.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 03:20:27 am »

Seems to work OK for me. Someone else reported the OSD stuck on, so there may be an issue with the keyboard input being captured by MadVR. Ctrl-j does something different in the main MC program (checks for update) so there may be an intermittent conflict.

I'll play about a bit more and see if I can reproduce it.

SBR

Ser_Renely

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 07:57:37 pm »

I know my SD DVDs look poor on the recent mc builds.  I think they changed how they are displayed when the new madVR came out.  I think it was using EVR before?  I just got that from the release notes.

I may be way off the mark.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 06:26:30 am »

If you use RO HQ, it will use madVR, as with normal media files. If you use RO Standard, nothing changed.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ser_Renely

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:53 am »

ahhh, ok.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 05:01:30 pm »

Just tried it again today. Definitely CTRL-J doesn't do anything while a movie is playing on my system.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »

Also I noticed a few things.

When watching a standard dvd movie and using ROHQ, I don't get the stuttering.  However if I watch a tv series then the stuttering happens.  Is there something different about how a tv show (ex Stargate SG1) is filmed? 

I tried setting the Display Options to switch to 1280x720 60 for the NTSC 29 option but I don't think the switch is happening.  My tv still displays 1080P.  When I go to my tv display resolution I can easily change it to 720p so I know it can accept it.  Am I doing something wrong?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:32 pm »

Don't change the Resolution, just the Frequency for 23.976/24hz / 50hz / 60hz.
JRiver CEO Elect

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 09:47:14 pm »

Not sure what you mean?  My desktop settings are at 1920x1080p 60.  My tv doesn't do 23 or 24.  I figured I would change the resolution to something less than 1080P which is far more intensive to upconvert than 720P

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 08:32:40 am »

BTW, doing
I tried setting the Display Options to switch to 1280x720 60
as indicated above, really mucked up my system.  After switching it back to Desktop Settings, every movie I played regardless of type, switched my pc to 720P.  Even after rebooting I couldn't get it back to 1080p.

Thankfully I found a bat file in the JRiver folder that resets MADVR.  Once I ran it, everything was back to normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up