INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MadVR OSD information stuck "on"  (Read 6535 times)

bv1pacb

• Junior Woodchuck
MadVR OSD information stuck "on"
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:40:22 am »

The MadVR OSD information now available via CTRL-J when playing DVDs fascinates me, and I continually toggle it on and off.  As mentioned in another post, dropped frames often occur when opening a DVD, but a reset via CTRL-R shows that, once underway, my setup drops very few frames.  After watching a ripped Blu-ray, however, it's now stuck on, and the reset function also no longer works.  My keyboard seems to have normal function otherwise.  Is there an "always on" setting that I inadvertently invoked?

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MadVR OSD information stuck "on"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:49:44 am »

No, there isn't an always on mode. Sometimes MadVR doesn't capture the keyboard events in windowed mode (seems reliable in exclusive mode). If you play a video and right click -> directshow filters -> MadVR . This brings up the MadVR setup window. As long as this has the focus, Ctrl-J etc will work.

SBR

bv1pacb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:32:52 am »

Thanks for the guidance. Unfortunately, exposing the MadVR setup window and clicking on it still did not result in CTRL-J closing the OSD.  Reinstalling MC18 solved the problem.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 03:12:46 am »

Bizarre. I think this may be the second report of Ctrl-j failing to capture by MadVR. Another user reported failing to get it to show at all.

Are you in full screen mode or windowed when watching a movie? Seems to work fine for me in full screen mode. There does seem to be a slight delay in between hitting Ctrl-j and the OSD toggling on/off with DVD, but it does seem to work OK. I'll have another go at trying to reproduce it later. 

SBR

bv1pacb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:30:32 am »

Full screen mode.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:53:57 am »

I haven't been able to get Ctrl+J to work for me either unless the madVR settings window is active. In the latest madVR builds I had to go to the madVR settings > user interface > keyboard shortcuts and uncheck "use only if media player has keyboard focus" to even get it to work with the settings window open.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:18:10 am »

Last time I tried (.68), CTRL+J did not bring up the MadVR OSD at all, even with MadVR settings window in focus. I checked that the CTRL+J shortcus was activated.

So it may seem the problem goes both ways. If I need to choose, I prefer OSD off...

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »

Had a bit more time to fiddle.

The only way I can reproduce this is to do as mojave:
I haven't been able to get Ctrl+J to work for me either unless the madVR settings window is active. In the latest madVR builds I had to go to the madVR settings > user interface > keyboard shortcuts and uncheck "use only if media player has keyboard focus" to even get it to work with the settings window open.

The recent MadVR update has added the user interface pane to the settings window. There is a new option for "use only if media player has keyboard focus" which wasn't there before. I'm guessing that when the media player has focus, and this option is checked, that MC captures the Ctrl-j (for its 'check for updates') and doesnt pass it on to MadVR leading to a 'stuck OSD'.

So, I can solve this by either:
a) having MadVR in full screen exclusive mode - seems to work reliably for me.
b) unchecking the "use only if media player has keyboard focus" option in MadVR.

Maybe this option should default to 'unchecked', or possibly change the default for 'toggle OSD' to something else (Ctrl-Alt-j??). I'm not sure if JRiver can change the defaults though.

SBR

Ser_Renely

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »

I had to go into MPC-HC and turn it off. ctr-j.

I didn't know that was Madvr's display, I assumed it was MPC-HC.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:38:52 pm »

I'm having very erratic results with MadVR OSD too.  To make the OSD information stick on, all i have to do is enable the OSD, then stop playing the video.  The next video I play, the OSD will be enabled but I won't be able to disable it.  If the OSD information is stuck on, I can fix it with the following procedure:

1.  Go to the MadVR settings by right clicking the video player and selecting direct show filters.
2.  Select MadVR.
3.  Uncheck the use only if media player has keyboard focus.

At this point, I can disable the OSD with ctrl-j because I am still in the MadVR settings window.  But, I can also re-check the use only if media player has keyboard focus check box, click OK, and then successfully toggle the OSD on and off using ctrl-j from the media player.  If I stop the media player with ctrl-s and start another video, the OSD will be stuck on (or off) again.  If the OSD is either stuck on or stuck off, the above procedure will fix it.  Note that letting MadVR have exclusive mode does not change the behavior in my test setup.

I have J River running on several computers in the house so I decided to try it on the same computer I am using right now.  On this computer, the ctrl-j functionality behaved as expected in all test cases. If the media player had focus, ctrl-j faithfully toggled the OSD statistics.  The 2 computers in question have very similar hardware except that the one that has the problem is connected to a flat panel TV through an AV Receiver via HDMI.  The computer that works correctly is connected to a normal monitor via DVI.  Not sure if that's the difference that's causing the problem but I bet most if not all the developers test with a normal monitor connected via DVI.

In light of the above test results, I decided to create a new library on the HTPC and test that.  I figured that maybe there was something in the library causing the problem because the 2 computers under test have very similar hardware.  But, the behavior was the same with the new library.  Any time I closed the media player, the OSD statistics were stuck on or off depending on the state when I closed the media player and I could un-stick them with the above procedure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up