INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can JR Media Network down-convert bdmv or HD files?  (Read 1306 times)

TorqW

• World Citizen
Can JR Media Network down-convert bdmv or HD files?
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:53:16 pm »

I'm using a 20TB server which contains all my DVD's, Blu-Rays etc with J River installed and Media Network turned on.

My Network isn't up to scratch speed-wise (I get about 70Mbits per second) which I assume isn't enough for blu-ray streaming (although DVDs work fine). What I'd like to do is convert into a lower bandwidth stream at the server level. I've tried altering the Video settings on the MC17 client but it doesn't seem to have any impact - significant stuttering.

Any thoughts?

Also, I imagine that the menus for DVDs will not be available (which is fine).

lbstyling

• Recent member
Re: Can JR Media Network down-convert bdmv or HD files?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »

Full, uncompressed blu-ray maxes out at about 37mbps inc DTS-MA, so if your router genuinely gives a solid 70 at the location your computer is going to be, you would have thought you would be ok... however- it seams that almost no-one actually pulls this off without stuttering.
 I dont know why, - someone told me it may be the ram in the router itself, but I have no evidence to support this other than the fact the  asus 'dark knight' router can handle it, and one notable difference between it and most others is the larger ram.

The scaling system in JRiver is second to none, so its really not that bad of an option to downscale to 720p and upscale at the client end- I assume JRiver can do this, but haven't actually tried myself.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Can JR Media Network down-convert bdmv or HD files?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »

I assume the OP is talking issues with throughput on a wireless router as I've no issue at all on my wired network with multiple clients hitting my server just fine.  If you are talking wireless then as lbstyling points out... it is not a great idea but for my wireless clients I've been happy with the on the fly transcoding engine built into MC to stream lower bandwidth versions.  Have a look at the options in Tools --> Options --> Media Network.  Some of these apply to what the server will do.  Others from the client.  Eg if you are using MC on a client over wireless back to your server using Library Server try these options under Client Options
- Turn off "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found"
- Video Conversion --> try a DVD Stream and see how you go.

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up