INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 as Squeezebox-like media player  (Read 1864 times)

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
MC17 as Squeezebox-like media player
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »

I've read many many posts about Logitech Media Server and MC Media server but am not sure how to use them...

I have a Synology NAS with my library of music on it.  I currently have that library on my local disk and use it that way today.

I have a Logitech Revue which streams from the Logitech Media Server.

Does it make sense to have MC17 stream from that LMS also?  Or would you discover the remote NAS library with MC17 and play that way?

Can MC17 be a client to a Logitech Media Server (a Squeezebox plugin maybe)?

Currently MC17 works great with local files.  When I discover the library on the NAS, there are performance problems between songs.  

I am using lossless files as well as AAC and mp3 files and playing from memory but see interruption going from song to song when using MC17 as the overall media manager with files across a 100Mbit ethernet.

Thanks,

BannonB
------
BannonB

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC17 as Squeeaebox-like media player
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:04:02 pm »

I have all of my music (mostly flac) on a NAS.
When I import the tracks into MC18, the file path looks like \\NAS01\Music\Genre\Artist\Album\Song.flac
On my main PC, it just reads the files over the lan and plays them.

The computer at my work and my kids' computers run MC in client mode and connect to the MC library server running on my main PC.
I chose to do it this way since MC's implementation allows me to change tags and ratings.
If I used DLNA or whatever being served from the NAS box, it would be read only.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC17 as Squeeaebox-like media player
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:53:07 pm »

I've read many many posts about Logitech Media Server and MC Media server but am not sure how to use them...

Think of them as generally independent.

I have a Synology NAS with my library of music on it.  I currently have that library on my local disk and use it that way today.

Make sure you have the lastest Synology firmware / updates.  It resolves some problems folks have reported here.

I have a Logitech Revue which streams from the Logitech Media Server.

Does it make sense to have MC17 stream from that LMS also?  Or would you discover the remote NAS library with MC17 and play that way?

No reason to have MC stream via DLNA from LMS.  Let MC discover the NAS library itself, and use MC for tagging and media management.  Think of LMS as simply serving your Revue.

Can MC17 be a client to a Logitech Media Server (a Squeezebox plugin maybe)?

As a DLNA client, it might, but why bother?  There's nothing to be gained from this.

Currently MC17 works great with local files.  When I discover the library on the NAS, there are performance problems between songs. 

I am using lossless files as well as AAC and mp3 files and playing from memory but see interruption going from song to song when using MC17 as the overall media manager with files across a 100Mbit ethernet.

Antivirus software running?  If so, configure exceptions for MC programs and MC's network activity.  The NAS should have no trouble feeding MC for audio files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC17 as Squeezebox-like media player
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »

Thanks guys.

There is an outside possibility I have a problem with my ethernet.  I may try with wireless, but the point was stated...why stream when you can discover the library and play that way.

I have a 500GB disk in my laptop.  I have 3 TB in my NAS.  Either way is ok, but locally seems better.  Then I use a program to synch my D:\music directory to the NAS music directory.  Always backed up that way.

BannonB
------
BannonB
Pages: [1]   Go Up