INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extracting, importing and playing Audio only from my blu rays  (Read 2304 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Extracting, importing and playing Audio only from my blu rays
« on: November 14, 2012, 01:27:37 am »

Hi

Hs anyone been ripping just the audio from their blu rays? I have a few concert discs and want to try this.

I have had a look at DVD Audio Extractor reviewed here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/473-ripping-blu-ray-easy-way/ and seems simple enough.

How would MC handle this as "Audio" particularly multichannel Audio? Is it as simple as rip, import and tag as Audio? Presumably MC 17 and 18 can handle this content?

Trumpetguy

Re: Extracting, importing and playing Audio only from my blu rays
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:48:10 am »

MC handles multichannel audio flawlessly. I rip all my music, blurays and dvds, and decode and store all audio tracks as flac. For blurays, using eac3to is a robust method, developed by Madshi (MadVR video renderer developer). Depending on your personal preferences, there is a graphical UI for eac3to. Google it at you will find what you need at Doom9 forums. You can choose whether to decode and store the audio as e.g. flac, or simply just extract the audio track and store it as DTS, TrueHD, PCM, WAV or whatever.

I have tested the multichannel flac files, and they play nicely in MC even without the video stream as company. I guess chapter information will be lost, though. One workaround is to extract both audio and chapter info (using eac3to), and store them in a mkv container using MKVtoolnix.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:13:25 pm »

I have had a look at DVD Audio Extractor reviewed here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/473-ripping-blu-ray-easy-way/ and seems simple enough.
I purchased DVD Audio Extractor a little while ago and would highly recommend it if you don't want to bother learning the ins and outs of more complicated tools (such as eac3to). DVD-AE has a quick, simple GUI and it's worked like a champ every time. I rip to multi-channel FLAC files at full resolution and all play back perfectly in MC. Using FLAC it is recognized as audio without any further effort; it just works like any other audio format, except it plays back in multi-channel. I think any other formats that DVD-AE rips too will be recognized in the same way.
There are definitely other options if you want to stick with free, but personally I preferred paying in this case.
-Jon

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:43:15 am »

I do not find eac3to any more complicated than the average software, but then again I grew up with thecommand line prompt in MS-DOS.

Note that you will need a third party DTS HD decoder, otherwise you will only end up with the DTS core track (most blurays now use DTS, only a few Dolby TrueHD). The only way to get that decoder as I know of is to buy TMT and copy a certain .dll (dtsdecoderdll.dll, or something similar) into a certain JRiver folder. I do not remember the exact name of the file and the location to put it right now, but you will find it by searching this forum. There is no way to get around this step even if you use other extraction applications. I think.

If DVD audio extractor actually has the DTS HD decoder, I will buy it promptly, but I doubt it.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:48:58 am »

I took a quick look at the DVD Audio Extractor, and there is no evidence it can extract DTS HD, only DTS core. In the forum, a user asks the same question, and the answer is disturbing. The user posts the data of an extracted DTS track, showing a bitrate of 1536kbps, which is the bitrate of DTS core. Typically, DTS HD 5.1 will have a bitrate of more than 5000kbps. The developer's answer indicates he/she is not aware of this and just assumes DTS HD was extracted ok, when it obviously wasn't.

Maybe in newer versions?

Z0001

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 05:52:08 am »

Thanks guys for your comments and thoughts. Sure is good to have the benefit of others experience! I have TMT, so will add the .dll file to jriver in any case. Need a newboy guide to setting up eac3to with a GUI. So will have a look for that.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up