INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct Sound and upsampling twice?  (Read 1372 times)

mindz

Direct Sound and upsampling twice?
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:08:48 am »

For ease of use and compatibility reasons i reverted back to DS over WASAPI ES. I am using the DSP for a number of things including upsampling. I upsample everything below 96khz to 96khz and bitdepth to 24 bit in JRiver. Since im now using DS and having the Windows mixer set to 24/96 does this mean im getting a resample from JRiver and then another from the Win mixer? Or does the Win mixer see the sample rate as 96/24 from JRiver and leaves it unmolested?

Also, as im now using DS, is it preferable to upsample the source bitdepth in JRiver to the highest possible?

Last Q, i have 4 speakers in my room, i use JRSS to up or down,ix everything to 4 channels, why shouldnt i just upmix everything to say, 7.1 channels? Dont i get more sound channels from my 4 speakers then resulting in more sound (but prolly not better)? Or do i just lose the voice channel when listening to i.e. a 5.1 source?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Direct Sound and upsampling twice?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:38:17 am »

Since im now using DS and having the Windows mixer set to 24/96 does this mean im getting a resample from JRiver and then another from the Win mixer? Or does the Win mixer see the sample rate as 96/24 from JRiver and leaves it unmolested?

If you deliver audio already in the "mixing format" (resamples to 96kHz in your case), the Windows mixer won't resample again.

Also, as im now using DS, is it preferable to upsample the source bitdepth in JRiver to the highest possible?

I'd upsample to the mixing format of the hardware (96 kHz) and use 24 or 32-bit output.

Last Q, i have 4 speakers in my room, i use JRSS to up or down,ix everything to 4 channels, why shouldnt i just upmix everything to say, 7.1 channels? Dont i get more sound channels from my 4 speakers then resulting in more sound (but prolly not better)? Or do i just lose the voice channel when listening to i.e. a 5.1 source?

You want JRSS to know the actual layout of your speakers (4.0).  If you trick it and say "7.1", either we'll output 7.1 and the Windows mixer will switch back to 4.0 (bad) or you'll really get 7.1 output but only hear 4 of the 8 channels (also bad).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mindz

Re: Direct Sound and upsampling twice?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:59:20 am »

Thanks Matt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up