INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC files (not all, but a ton of 'em) modify upon Jukebox 14 import  (Read 18233 times)

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck

Howdy all. I am uninstalling for reason described below (and am noting when I uninstall under the "I had a problem with it" heading). Too bad, I wanted to give Jukebox a try and there's much to like about it. If anyone has any insights or a workaround, please reply and maybe I'll try again. Thanks.

despite troubleshooting extensively - i turned off tagging, i check off "no" for associated file types - when loading my library of FLAC files into Media Jukebox a seemingly random (though repeated when starting over) and very large number of my FLAC files are modified - like 25 GB worth. This is time consuming, further time consuming if I were to run my back up (why spend time backing up files that I had no iintention of modifying?) and alarming (what is being modified? these FLAC files do not modify when I load them into Foobar or Musicbee, for instance) so even though I like the feature set, interface, ability to customize, and ability to sync my android device,  I cannot spend any more time nor risk unwanted changes to my carefully cultivated music library, nor could I possibly consider buying the full version of Media Center if this is what happens! It is a shame, as I really wanted to use this program. But now I'm restoring my FLACs from archive for like 4th time to undo whatever Media Jukebox is doing to my files.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: FLAC files (not all, but a ton of 'em) modify upon Jukebox 14 import
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 02:32:15 pm »

So you try something, you spend a lot of time troubleshooting a problem, decide its not your thing, uninstall and come here to tell us you ditched the program?

Why didn't you come here for help at the first sign of trouble?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you do have backups and you're able to get it back the way you want it. Everyone here understands your concern: we all have libraries with countless of hours spent on organising and tagging our files.

It's been a long time since I used Jukebox versions so I can't tell you whether you can completely disable any and all changes made to the files (with Media Center you can for sure).

What I would suggest is that you trial Media Center 17 or 18 with a small subset of files from your library. Make a copy of them to a separate folder. Install MC and disable updating tags when file info changes, as described in my post here.

If it still changes files you can post in the Media Center 17 or 18 section for help.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »

If MJ has audio analysis enabled, a couple of REPLAY_* tags that are being written.

If MJ is configured to store cover art in the files, this will also cause an update.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:11:57 am »

Thank you both for your replies.
Inflatable - I thought about downloading Media Center trial, because I figured any such issues would have been remedied and appropriate options available in the maintained commercial version. But, then I decided since I really can't see paying the registration price at this time I did not proceed.
MrC - audio analysis & cover art options were off. It only does this to FLAC - not mp3, mp4/m4a/AAC, Ogg, APE, WavPack, or ALAC files. Running Jukebox under the much maligned Vista or the much more recent & much maligned Windows 8 Release Preview - same issue. NTFS or fat32 external drives, etc. It does leave certain FLAC files alone and yet repeatedly alters certain others.
Media Center looks like an impressively comprehensive solution and I'll be sure to try it out some time.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:56:56 am »

I seem to recall that in MC 17 a bug was resolved where files were being modified (benignly, a slight change to the padding area).  If I'm recalling correctly, this would explain why you see the problem in the ancient MJ.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:20:27 am »

Yup, here it is...

Saturday, August 11, 2012
The build 183
17.0.183 (8/9/2012)

3. Fixed: Opening a FLAC file to read tags could unexpectedly cause a padding block to be added to the tag with some files.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:51:25 am »

Good memory! I remembered something as well but the padding detail, I would have never found it again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up