INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M01 Server  (Read 2435 times)

aRCLiGHT

M01 Server
« on: April 16, 2002, 09:49:28 am »

I saw some mention that M01 might be going away.  Is this true?  If it is (or really even if it isn't), can we get the old MJ Music Server back?  It was a very cool feature that I wish had never been removed.

Come on everyone, jump on the bandwagon!  Hold up your signs.  "We want MJ Music Server back!!"

aRCLiGHT

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:M01 Server
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 10:03:18 am »

OK, it's back.  Media Server will replace Music01 Server in one of the builds this week.

It will drop the options for users and search, and it will drop the requirement for an account.

Connections will be limited to 3 simultaneous users.

This is designed for personal use, playing your collection from another room or from your work.  We believe this is a "fair use" of your music.  The legality of anything else is too uncertain for us to provide right now.

Thanks to everyone who has participated in the Music01 test.  It was fun while it lasted.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 10:42:27 am »

Thanks Jim. Sensible compromise.

HTH

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2002, 05:03:52 pm »

Crap!!!
That's right.
I'm cool.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2002, 05:05:14 pm »

The above is merely an expletive. It is not intended as a judgement of quality.
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2002, 05:10:51 pm »

I thought it was a Genre

CRAP = Caucasian Rap

AKA: Eminem, Vanilla Ice
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2002, 05:15:51 pm »

No it's not ... but I like the way you think.

Listening to: 'Ice' from 'Clear Spirit' by 'Spirit' on Media Jukebox
That's right.
I'm cool.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2002, 05:31:32 pm »

I'll miss Music01. I kind of liked seeing what kind of music you guys listened to and being able to listen to it without having to download it.

But Media Server is cool too.

Too bad we couldn't have both.

What happened to that whole deal with the record companies and Music01?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2002, 05:38:05 pm »

Doof

i liked to see what others streamed, so i could see what i was missing.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2002, 05:40:11 pm »

Boo Hoo!!!
I never got to try it. And DSL is two weeks away.

Crap!!!
That's right.
I'm cool.

Harry the Hipster

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2002, 06:04:15 pm »

Doof/King/CVIII:

Educated guess:

Think what happened was that JimH tried to sell the lunkheads on a truly creative concept for expanding their market share and trumping P2P, but predictably they tried to gouge him rather than work out a real partnership.

Music01 was a concept piece to show them how it might work, and how much support it could command. Once it was clear they wouldn't deal on remotely equitable terms, JRiver concluded it couldn't keep the open streaming concept going indefinitely, because it looked a lot like webcasting, which meant a royalty obligation under the recent arb panel royalty ruling. Maybe they even threatened him with litigation - who knows?

In any event, JRiver had to reshape the program to more neatly fit into a fair use category, meaning esentially restricting it to extended personal use by the file owner and one or two others.

HTH

Photo Op from most recent RIAA convention: record execs and industry lobbyists mixing with Senators and Representatives. Ernest Hollings in right foreground.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2002, 06:04:41 pm »

Doof,

Just another way we have been/are being screwed by the RIAA.
They must be reined in.

They do serve many valuable functions. I can't think of any right now but I'm sure there must be something.

If someone were to design a campaign to systematically turn EVERYONE against them, they couldn't do any better than the RIAA is doing. But what I'm afraid of is that they will wreck everything before doing themselves in.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JimH

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2002, 06:48:07 pm »

HTH has it pretty much right, except that we were never seriously threatened with a lawsuit.  They actually were OK except that they never offered anything that was remotely like an equitable deal.  The thread from last week on the possibility of streaming was about as close as we came to a make-ends-meet arrangement.  And it wasn't close enough.

Also last week, a small public company settled a lawsuit with the RIAA for $1 million.  That got my attention.  I don't want to be the next RIAA poster child.

Eventually this will get sorted out and there will be business to do.  We'll be back.
Jim Hillegass

Bryan

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2002, 01:04:19 pm »

Yep,,,   That's Fritz in the picture alright!    Next Page

aRCLiGHT

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2002, 08:29:49 pm »

JimH,

Thanks for bringing back the good ole Music Server.  I think three simultaneous connections is more than enough!!  This is one reason why I have stuck with MJ.  You guys listen to your customers!!  Maybe others ought to do the same and follow your examples......  Thanks again!!!  Can't wait to see it come back....

aRCLiGHT

Scronch

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2002, 11:27:32 pm »

JimH - Media Server sounds great.  Thank you.

HTH - Is this better?

gvag

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2002, 11:33:28 pm »

"If you don't know ask."

So... what was/is Music Server?

cheers

Scronch

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2002, 12:06:56 am »

New in Media Jukebox 6.0

Media Server    The included Media Server allows you to rip once, play anywhere.  Easily connect to your media library from anywhere via the Internet, and use Media Jukebox as if you were sitting right in front of the host computer.

Bob L.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2002, 07:31:30 am »

Hello Everyone (and especially JimH),

Thanks for bringing back media server.   One of my biggest reasons for setting up a digital music system and using Media Jukebox (the best music management system out there IMHO) is so that my family and I can all share one music server.  Although using our network file sharing and building libraries on each node is possible, the media server gives me much more consistency.  

Just one request.  We've got 6 systems in our home.  As families become much more wired, even that number (and more) could become common.  I know that JRiver has to prevent the server from turning into internet radio, but wouldn't, say, 10 simultaneous connections have the same effect (since selling 10 connections could hardly constitute a viable business model).

I may be missing some important wrinkle here, and if so, please let me know.  At any rate, thanks for bringing this back.

Regards,

Bob L.

JimH

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2002, 07:38:51 am »

Bob,
Thanks, but I don't think we can open it up more at this time.  The lanscape is littered with carcases of companies that thought they knew what was fair until proven wrong in court.  I'd like JRiver to be still standing when the dust settles.

It may take several more years to sort out what is legal and what isn't.  In the meantime, we'll take a cautious approach and hope people will understand.

The connection limit, BTW, is 3 simultaneous users, so if your family members will disconnect, others will be able to connect.  A second server would get you 3 more connections.
Jim Hillegass

Nila

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2002, 10:01:34 am »

Jim - how about a compromise - if you make it 5 I cant imagine them having a very strong case against you. 5 connections is minimal still. If you also incorporate security to some extent so that users need to have a user name and password to connect then you are not distrobuting music freely at all. People would have not know you in order to access your files and this is equivalent to people knowing you in real life being able to borrow your cd's off of you.

Also, because it would be password protected, it wouldn't be a fire sharing service any more than say G6 is libable because they make an ftp server program or apache is because they make a web server that could be used to serve mp3's from.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2002, 10:07:43 am »

Nila

I think there was a reason for 3, like you and 2 friends, anymore than that maybe out of bounds.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2002, 10:08:01 am »

Nila,
If you'll re-read my message, I think you'll see where we are on this.
Jim Hillegass

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2002, 12:44:52 pm »

I think you should up the limit to 64,000 concurrent sessions and offer downloading as well as streaming. And because I paid $24.95 for this software, you should also go out and build a JRiver library of the 1,000,000 most popular songs in APE format with full tag info, including cover art and lyrics, and offer that up to PLUS users for free.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2002, 01:07:33 pm »

doof,

wow, that would be realy great value than

Ingo

JimH

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2002, 01:09:52 pm »

We're thinking of cloning KingSparta's collection and compressing it onto a stick of gum.  If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you'll be set.
Jim Hillegass

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2002, 01:11:39 pm »

That leaves me out of the fun. Next Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up