INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Settings in DSP Settings  (Read 2826 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Speaker Settings in DSP Settings
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:52:16 pm »

In the DSP settings there's an option for setting the number of channels you have.  I'm curious to know if I need to set this to 5.1 if I'm using bitstreaming via HDMI to my receiver for movies?  The reason I'm asking is I noticed that if I have it at 5.1 and try to play some flac files that are 96/24, they won't play.  My system just freezes.  However if I set it to 2 channels, the 96/24 files play fine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Speaker Settings in DSP Settings
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »

Bitstreaming only applies to videos (and DSD).

So it's normal that you should configure it for audio playback.

There's a guide here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:10:41 am »

Hi Matt,

I already looked at the guide but it really didn't help.  I'm trying to figure out why my 96/24 flac files don't play if I set the speakers to 5.1 but do play when setting them to 2 channel?  When I click play on one of the tracks, I get the Now Playing screen, with the changing backdrops, but the music doesn't play (no activity on my network drive) and I can't exit the screen.  I have to hit CTRL-AL-DEL to end the MC process.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:50 am »

I'm trying to figure out why my 96/24 flac files don't play if I set the speakers to 5.1 but do play when setting them to 2 channel?

I think that means your audio hardware isn't working with 5.1 output.

Do you have a 5.1 speaker setup?  Do you know your receiver will accept 5.1 uncompressed PCM over HDMI?

You might try updating audio / video drivers.  Also, test in Windows > Sound to see if it can deliver 5.1.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:05 am »

My receiver is a Denon 3808CI and it does support uncompressed pcm via HDMI.  Yes I have a 5.1 system, actually 5.2 and everything works perfectly fine when playing a blu ray movie or dvd. 

If I set my speakers in MC to 5.1 and play the blu ray of 3:10 to Yuma (it has an uncompressed PCM 7.1 soundtrack), my receiver will display mcpcm and plays fine.  If I play a DTS-HD Master Audio track, my receiver will display DTS-HD Master.  So far so good.  But 96/24 flac files won't play but normal flac does.

Now if I change my speakers in MC to 2 channels, the PMC 7.1 soundtrack will no longer show up as MCPCM on my reciever but instead default to DPLII Cinema.  At that point I can't get it to select MCPCM.  However, in this config, the 96/24 files will play.

So I'm not really sure what MC is doing. 

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:58 am »

I'm trying to figure out why my 96/24 flac files don't play if I set the speakers to 5.1 but do play when setting them to 2 channel?

In DPS Studio, Output format, what do you have Mixing set to?

I think its as simple as selecting 5.1 for channels and for Mixing select JRSS 2.0, then tick the 'For stereo sources, mix to 2.1'.

Hope that helps.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:24:41 am »

Ok, I'll doublecheck when I get home and give it a try.  It's possible I missed something.  I find it easy to do with the theme I'm using where everything is blank and you can barely see the tick boxes. 

Thanks

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 02:22:02 pm »

Bitstreaming only applies to videos (and DSD).

So it's normal that you should configure it for audio playback.

There's a guide here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Just a question on the above.  When you say bitstreaming only applies to videos, I'm assuming you mean the sound in videos correct?  If that's the case, why does selecting the channels in the Audio options, affect how the PCM audio on a blu ray is decoded by my receiver?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding something...

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »

I discovered the problem.  For my setup, I had to deselect the Output Box in the DSP Settings.  As soon as I do that, everything works as it should.  I think those options are only if you want MC to decode.  In my case, I want everything go straight through and letting my receiver do the work.

Thanks for the help anyhow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up