INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keyword search help  (Read 2568 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
keyword search help
« on: November 21, 2012, 11:56:25 am »

Hi,
now that i've purchased JRiver, i've been playing around with it...so far i really like what can be done, but i'm really confused about some things.  i've got tagging figured out for what i want...but now i'm trying to organize, and for that i'd like to use keywords.  i've searched the forum to no avail

the question:  how do i search by more than one keyword?  i've tried a bunch of different (BASIC!) stuff.

edit:  i've figured out how to do it in panes by creating rules...is there a more elegant way to do this?  like a checkbox type system where i check the keywords i want to appear but will eliminate those i don't?

i.e. if i check 2010 only those with JUST 2010 will appear, but if i check 2010 and kids then all of those will appear?  while the panes system is getting easier to use, some of my audio will have say 6 keywords, and i don't want to have >6 panes just to sort through all that

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: keyword search help
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:06:30 pm »

Search implicitly uses AND.

The Search box uses intelligent filtering - it provides an abbreviated search syntax

In the Search Wizard or Set rules for file display dialogs, you can use parenthesis and brackets: hover your mouse immediately left of the first search term to get the idea.

See here for more info (work in progress):

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MrC-temp
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:09:28 pm »

wow.  thanks a lot, that is very powerful but also very involved, i'll have to play with it.  it's going to take me a lot more time than i thought!!

MrC

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:10:22 pm »

For the Keywords field, check out the Search Wizard's search builder, and then hit the Import/Export button to see the query entirely.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »

search wizard?  at the risk of sounding dumb i don't even know what that is...

thanks again!

MrC

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:13:04 pm »

Upper-right Search box, pull down the little arrow.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:16:39 pm »

If you're using a panes view with a Keyword column, you can multi-select keywords with the Control key.  Multiple selection is an OR operation, so a single pane doesn't do AND.  For this you'll use Search.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »

If you're using a panes view with a Keyword column, you can multi-select keywords with the Control key.  Multiple selection is an OR operation, so a single pane doesn't do AND.  For this you'll use Search.

ahhh this makes sense.  is there any way to assign a pane that multiple selection is and AND, or i have to use search? 

thanks again, this is great stuff.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:35:00 pm »

Create a panes column of type Expression.  Name it Keywords (AND).

Enter the following as the expression:

[Keywords]&datatype=[list]

and select

Matching: Match All

Edit: Note: For List type fields such as Keywords, you don't need an expression, but can use instead the Field name itself and select Match All.  The Expression allows you to use any field, and also allows you to Name the column.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:44:06 pm »

thanks so kindly MrC

one last question and i will drop this and play around myself....

is it possible to take that AND expression and exclude more than one keyword, i.e. if a track has 3 keywords, but i only select 2 at once, can i stop the tracks with 3 keywords from showing up?  but...if i do select 3 keywords, have them all show up?

i really like pane view, but i'd love to select say black/doom and not have files that are keyworded black/doom/instrumental show up in the album view at the bottom

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 02:33:33 pm »

You can set a pane to do AND using customise view.

Select the Keywords pane in the category list, press the edit button, then at the bottom, change "Matching" from "Match any" to "Match all".

I would love for a way to toggle this setting from the main GUI.

-marko

MrC

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 03:59:43 pm »

is it possible to take that AND expression and exclude more than one keyword, i.e. if a track has 3 keywords, but i only select 2 at once, can i stop the tracks with 3 keywords from showing up?  but...if i do select 3 keywords, have them all show up?

i really like pane view, but i'd love to select say black/doom and not have files that are keyworded black/doom/instrumental show up in the album view at the bottom

Sure, but not quite directly.  Add a new expression column, probably to the right of your Keywords column, with the expression:

ListCount([Keywords])

and then you can select your keywords followed by the number of keywords that you require to match.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 12:40:29 am »

that was fun, thanks!  i think i get the format, just need to learn the words.  MrC's page, to anyone searching, is a good resource for this. 

MrC, in case you read...in your post
~limit=-1,1,[Artist] ~limit=-1,2,[Decade]
Result: plays 10 tracks, 2 from each of the decades (a custom field) and the same artist appears only once.

why does the 2nd 1 point to tracks?  can it be defined, i.e. -1,1,1 for artist, album, track?  or restricted to f,n...?
Pages: [1]   Go Up