INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA And transcoding problems.  (Read 2296 times)

toto45

• Recent member
DLNA And transcoding problems.
« on: November 22, 2012, 07:22:54 pm »

Hi,
I posted in other posts previously about WDTV Live compatibility problems.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73744.msg513574#msg513574 (workaround found was: "no transcoding"  ;D)

I made further tests and observed the same behaviour was also with other DLNA players (apps on Androïd).

I found that the problem is that when selecting the default DLNA profile (as there is not one for wdtv), it's the buggy MP4 encoding who is selected by default.

This encoder profile crashes or hangs MC18 at the first or the second transcoding asked. This with almost any test file from various formats I'm testing (mp4 divx avi flv mkv mov .h263) (for testing I've set "always convert")

Selecting for example MPEG2 or MPEG4TS make my WDTV works flawlessly.

The only problem is that with this solution no seek is possible for transcoded files

So I suggest to the MC development team to have a look at why the MP4 transcoder is not working and also create an WDTV Live profile.

I found also that the MP4 profiles uses the temp dir to create the transcoded files but other profiles seems to transcode on the fly.

Hope this will be solved at the end of my trial period  :-\

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA And transcoding problems.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:34:22 pm »

The mpeg4 profiles probably should be removed. They generate non-streamable files (you have to wait for the conversion to finish).
The mpeg4ts profiles are best if:
1) your device supports them
2) your device implements time based seeking

toto45

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 03:18:55 pm »

to be clear, it's the mp4 profile, not mpeg4.

Now I have a second question:
If I select "convert unsupported formats" MC18 transcode some files the WDTV can read without conversion.
The contrary happens also, MC send files unconverted to the WDTV who say that this file is not readable...

Is there a place, an XML file where we can setup a profile with the exact settings for a device ?.
I'm not sure where the problem stands, but with mezzmo there is not such problems.
Maybe WDTV reprorts bad profile of which formats she can accept or maybe it's MC but a solution is possible.

If I can help testing this, I will be pleased, as MC is the best of all the media players I've tested so far.

thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 06:48:32 pm »

to be clear, it's the mp4 profile, not mpeg4.

Now I have a second question:
If I select "convert unsupported formats" MC18 transcode some files the WDTV can read without conversion.
The contrary happens also, MC send files unconverted to the WDTV who say that this file is not readable...
Convert unsupported formats means convert everything that isn't required to be supported by the DLNA spec.
It's not device specific with the exception of the PS3 and Xbox 360 profiles.
Is there a place, an XML file where we can setup a profile with the exact settings for a device ?.
I'm not sure where the problem stands, but with mezzmo there is not such problems.
Maybe WDTV reprorts bad profile of which formats she can accept or maybe it's MC but a solution is possible.

If I can help testing this, I will be pleased, as MC is the best of all the media players I've tested so far.

thanks
There isn't any tuning conversion possible outside of the profile selection.
Only the mp4ts profiles should be used. The mp4 profiles aren't streamable and are only useful at this time for generating content for handhelds.

toto45

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »

Thanks a lot, maybe later you can add this fine tuning.
I use my pc as media server, and when my wife is streaming a movie, the pc is slow (and I have a core i7)
Streaming when it's not necessary consumes power, degrade the quality of the movie and some feature like seek and subtitles can be lost (mkv).
I think you can count on the community to fine-tune those "XML's", me first ;o)

one last thing:
Can you have a look at why it's not possible to seek in the movie when transcoded.
Even if maybe the WDTV seems to not support time based seeking, I know it's possible because I can seek on transcoded movies with other dlna servers like mezzmo.

Thanks a lot :o)

Jong

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:53:58 pm »

Quote from: toto45 link=topic=75892
Thanks a lot, maybe later you can add this fine tuning.
I use my pc as media server, and when my wife is streaming a movie, the pc is slow (and I have a core i7)
Streaming when it's not necessary consumes power, degrade the quality of the movie and some feature like seek and subtitles can be lost (mkv).
I think you can count on the community to fine-tune those "XML's", me first ;o)

one last thing:
Can you have a look at why it's not possible to seek in the movie when transcoded.
Even if maybe the WDTV seems to not support time based seeking, I know it's possible because I can seek on transcoded movies with other dlna servers like mezzmo.

Thanks a lot :o)
You might find this discussion interesting. EDIT: oops - beta team link! Anyway, bottom line, I do agree. I think there needs to be a community way of properly profiling devices and offering more tuning than at present. I'm confident something will come in (hopefully not too much) time.

toto45

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:42:25 pm »

ach !!!
secret secret secret :-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up