INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WinXP - Lock sound card to MJ  (Read 654 times)

Brak

WinXP - Lock sound card to MJ
« on: April 15, 2002, 10:53:55 pm »

Is there a way to lock my sound card to just one program--MJ, in particular--in WinXP?  When listening to music with MJ 7.2.280 programs can beep or talk or whatever while the music is still playing.  The same thing happens when watching movies with PowerDVD.  Maybe multiple audio streams are an improvement over playback in Win98, but I'd like a way to disable this feature, at least sometimes.  Any suggestions?

And, yes I realize that this is more of a Windows question than one about MJ in particular, but I've searched the MS Knowledge Base and the Dell forums (Dell laptop - Inspiron 3800 with current drivers) and can't find anything.  It's very possible that I'm searching using the wrong terminology, so would really appreciate any pointers in that area:  Is "lock" the word I'm looking for?  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:WinXP - Lock sound card to MJ
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 05:37:06 am »

Sorry, I think you're probably out of luck.

If this is really a big deal, here's a few solutions:

1) turn off system sounds, and sounds in any program that lets you
2) install a $10 soundcard, pick it as the default, and let MJ use your real soundcard to play your music
3) find a 5 year old soundcard that can only play one stream at once

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Brak

RE:WinXP - Lock sound card to MJ
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 07:59:45 pm »

Thanks for the tips.  I already did 1 and 2&3 aren't an option (it's a laptop).  I never had this problem with Win98.  What changed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up