INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something went wrong with playback  (Read 3060 times)

cunim

• Recent member
Something went wrong with playback
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:20:57 pm »

I have MC17 and 18 loaded on a few machines. Having a problem with the main home theater machine and MC17/18

System: W8/64 PC using Daemon Tools lite to mount (works fine) and set to bitstream.  5.1 channel audio via HDMI output to Classe SSP800 processor, and then hdmi to Sony G90 analog projector. 

DVD plays Dolby digital just fine so bitstreaming is working.  With bluray, I get the "Something went wrong with playback.  Playback could not be started on selected audio output".  I have checked the Windows audio settings and tested them, all is fine.  DSP studio is set to leave everything at source configuration and fooling about in there makes no difference anyway.

I am not having problems on two other machines, both W7/64.  On these, all forms of playback are fine.   One is playing into a USB DAC (not bitstreamed) and the other bitstreamed via hdmi to a Pioneer SC-27 reveiver and then hdmi to a Kuro plasma.

Don't know if I am seeing a W8 issue, a MC settings issue, or something to do with the SSP800.  Any suggestions?

cunim

• Recent member
Re: Something went wrong with playback - bitstreaming and high end processors
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »

OK, so here's the outcome.

There appears to be a fundamental imcompatibility between bitstreamed output and some processors, including the Classe SSP800.  Talking to Classe tech support they said "just run PCM from the computer.  The processor will run in discrete mode and there will be no difference in final sound quality".  Interesting.  One thinks those fancy and expensive dual DSPs in the processor are doing things that the plain old computer can't, but not according to Classe tech support. 

This would mean the benefits of using a high end processor lie not in the audio steering functions, but in subsequent parts of the decoding (if there are any) and then the audio chain.  This is contrary to my prior understanding which was that bitstreaming into dedicated processors yields better sound.  Any comments?

Blu rays are playing via PCM and, indeed, they sound fine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Something went wrong with playback
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:32:18 pm »

In my opinion, the PC is the best decoder and audio processor possible.

You still want a good DAC and clean amplification, but any processing belongs in the computer (where you have enormous speed, flexibility, and the ability to present a nice user interface).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cunim

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »

An update on this.  The Classe SSP800 does accept bitstreaming under W7, just not W8.

After comparing bitstreamed vs pcm audio, there is a very obvious advantage for bitstreamed audio.  I stress that this is on my systems - one just very good, the other state of the art.  YMMV. 

The difference is present with both WMC (MyMovies) and MC. The difference is so great that there is no way I can accept PCM.  Maybe there are some OS or MC settings that will make PCM and bitstream equivalent but, for now, no contest. I remain puzzled about it and am happy to hear concrete suggestions.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:24 am »

An update on this.  The Classe SSP800 does accept bitstreaming under W7, just not W8.

After comparing bitstreamed vs pcm audio, there is a very obvious advantage for bitstreamed audio.  I stress that this is on my systems - one just very good, the other state of the art.  YMMV. 

The difference is present with both WMC (MyMovies) and MC. The difference is so great that there is no way I can accept PCM.  Maybe there are some OS or MC settings that will make PCM and bitstream equivalent but, for now, no contest. I remain puzzled about it and am happy to hear concrete suggestions.

Theoretically, you are hearing a placebo. In reality, there is probably a slight volume discrepancy between the PCM and decoded bitstream.

cunim

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:34:21 am »

Yes, possibly, but I doubt it.  The difference is so marked I have not bothered to do blind tests as I usually would.  I am an experienced audiophile and can usually spot equipment differences on blind testing - when such differences are more than trivial. 

I hear two things. Fist, there is an increase in dyanmic contrasts - not volume, contrast.  Second, the sound stage expands and the system appears to be in a larger space.  The expansion may arise from the contrast difference.  It is very obvious and everything just sort of shrinks in towards the screen as you go from bitstream to PCM.

Please note that this is on my equipment, and I have no idea if it is common.  In fact, I have every reason to wish it turned out the other way.  Life would be simpler.

Harley Softail

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:00 am »

Hello all

I am running MC17.0.189
On an Amd Phenom II X4 965
4 Gig ram
450 GB on board disk
4 tb Nas ( this is my media library)
M-Audio 1010 sound device (connected to my speakers)
Nvidia High definition audio
Via High definition audio (connected to my Headphones)

I to get the above mentioned error when watching TV shows captured by my satellite. I am not technical. and it all worked fin before I left 4.5 months ago. no one used the system during that time. However the house sustained a black out during that period and the power was off when I returned mar 27th.

I rebooted Routers, computer many times, I uninstalled JRiver 17.0.189, downloaded and  installed many times

Pleas help 

Pages: [1]   Go Up