INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing online database when not ripping  (Read 1110 times)

cunim

• Recent member
Accessing online database when not ripping
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:17:59 am »

I have a lot of classical albums ripped elsewhere - AIFF.  I would like to add tags (usually composer) through the online database.  However, looking up almost invariably fails.  Using the library lookup yields very poor performance, even for non-obscure albums.  In contrast, if I rip through MC, the lookup is very good and I usually find the album data. 

Why is the online database so much better during rip than if using "lookup track info from online database" under the library function?  Can I access the rip database function without ripping?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Accessing online database when not ripping
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

The metadata for ripped CDs is keyed off of a calculated ID for the CD, the physical media itself.  When users rip a CD, they provide the metadata, and then submit it to JRiver's CD database YADB.  This is what is pulled when you insert a new CD, and this metadata is used for both the CD's entry in the MC Library, and the ripped tracks too.

For previously ripped tracks, metadata filled in by users can be pushed to JRiver's database, but this is rarely done, so the database is sparse.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Effectiveness of YADB scanning of single tracks...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:55:25 pm »

For previously ripped tracks, metadata filled in by users can be pushed to JRiver's database, but this is rarely done, so the database is sparse.

Am I wasting my time scanning my 30,000 or so, for whatever reasons, tagless or near-tagless .mp3s using YADB?  Trying a few batches got no hits.

On tunes with tags, I get 5-10% repair hits, about the same as I get with Jaikoz with its several scan options.  It appears that fingerprinting is only slightly better than nothing...

BTW, even though I have used MC for nearly a decade, I haven't figured out how I cause partial or complete loss of primary tags, nor how "artist" tags join up with "name" tags, with or without a hyphen delimiter.

And maybe it's a waste of effort to submit my 300,000 tunes which have reasonably accurate name, artist, and album tags (by my standards).

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Accessing online database when not ripping
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 01:10:16 pm »

1. It probably is not currently worthwhile scanning for track data from the files.

2. But, once you get them done, it would help others if you submit your data, so that rule (1) is no longer valid.

As far as how your metadata gets botched, you're going to have to provide some clues for more help...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up