INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Rip vs ITunes Rip  (Read 4301 times)

BigDu

JRiver Rip vs ITunes Rip
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:59:23 am »

I am new to JRiver and am doing a trial run. The reason I'm here is for ultimate sound quality from ripped CDs and Hi Rez downloads. I know alot about audiophile sound but very little about computers. Up until now I have used ITunes as my computer player (Windows PC) and have ripped 3000+ CDs @ AIFF 1411 bit rate. I have downloaded my entire ITunes library into the Media Center (MC), and to me the tunes sound identical when switching between MC and the existing ITunes. However when I rip a CD to MC directly, in most cases it sounds MUCH better than the ITunes import.

This is my question: is there any way to import the ITunes library into the MC and get the same sound quality as MC ripping the CD directly? Or is what I'm hearing the fundamental difference between how ITunes and MC download bits? I figured @ AIFF 1411 bit rates "bits were bits" but apparently that is not the case? What I'm tryting to avoid, at all costs, is having to re rip over 9 days of music.

Anybody got any ideas? Different settings, maybe??.......

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Rip vs ITunes Rip
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:04:04 am »

Welcome to the forum.  Here is a topic on our wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:48:01 am »

AIFF is lossless, and it should be a "bit perfect" copy.  therefore there shouldn't be any difference between JRiver rips into (FLAC or WAV) and itunes rips (into AIFF)
that said, i don't know how iTunes actually rips and if it "colors" the copy or not...lossless unfortunately doesn't always mean bit perfect, it depends on the software. 

honestly, if YOU notice a difference, then re-ripping might be your best option.  personally i would do some ABX testing (in foobar for example) and see if i could actually tell the formats apart in a blind setting.  if i found any difference under proper testing, i would not hesitate to re-rip...if i couldn't tell i wouldn't bother.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »

JRiver can rip in secure mode (check the settings in Tools/Options/CD, DVD & BD. Under CD Ripping, check that 'secure mode' is enabled for the drive you're using to rip.

This mode is similar to how EAC (Exact Audio Copy) rips audio CD's. As far as I know iTunes does not do this and simply reads it as fast as possible without caring about whether the ripped audio is accurate or not.

Personally I would rip with JRiver. This mode gives piece of mind that your rip is 1:1 copy of the original CD. If you enable 'auto-create log file in secure rip mode' JRiver will show you a log of the rip after its finished with info about the rip accuracy.

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:21:23 am »

Explore DBPowerAmp Accurate Ripper.  It takes into account specific CD drive characteristics and offsets.

I'm not sure about sound quality differences, but appears to be a faster ripper and will tell you when tracks are damaged and can't be ripped properly.  That gives you total control.

You can sit on the couch and feed CDs.  When one pops out, pop another in.  3000 CDs will take a while obviously, so you may want to evaluate the software with a few CDs first, then decide on your approach.

BannonB
------
BannonB
Pages: [1]   Go Up