INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD control and Library Pane  (Read 2123 times)

AVI

• Recent member
DVD control and Library Pane
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:18:29 pm »

Hi

I get a lot of our customers to buy JRiver to use as a Music management and UpnP control tool. Its excellent and the JRemote app is the perfect partner, however.......

Never really trusted it with video. We are designing a system for a client and want to use JRiver to handle movies. Problems as follows;

1) Just testing playback of DVD (stored on a NAS) the 'skip fwd' command on an MCE remote takes you back to the Menu page of the DVD. On BD it skips as expected.

2) BD playback is poor. Works fine then you get a bar full of blocking. The same video played back via Arcsoft TMT is fine. Tried lots of settings. It only gets worse.

3) This is as much a question for JRemote which I will post directly, but you cannot control disc playback via an app. You don't seem to duplicate the necessary commands, just skip, play, pause and stop which is no use for movies.

Library Pane

As apps just show mimic what JRiver shows, is there a way you can remove the options in the Library Pane? We would just like users to see what we want them to see. So if we don't use Images orTV shows etc, we want to remove them from the Pane so they don't appear in an apps menus. Is this possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD control and Library Pane
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »

Test playback from a local drive or disc, just to separate whether you are seeing a network issue or not.

Blu-ray should be perfect.  Low CPU would not allow Red October HQ though.  Try Red October Std.  Again, test local playback.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:25 pm »

And you should be on MC18 not MC17 now.

AVI

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:18:09 am »

Thanks for the reply Jim

I have tested playback using the drive with the same results and Red Oct is on Standard. The fact is that Arcsofts TMT had these problems years ago and it was the decoder performance. And why would a skip command function differently for DVD and BD?

The reason I have not gone to 18 is that I have constantly upgraded since 14 and yet still the same bugs appear on a variety of different PC's / OS's. Leaving aside features there are simple faults that must be addressed.

1) CD's will not always auto rip (when set in the menu)
2) CD's do not always choose the first database option as a default (when set in the menu)
3) MC will crash for no obvious reason. This has happened continuously from 15 onwards on different machines, some which are only running MC on top of the native OS. No plug-ins or skins. Everything default.
4) Auto rip of DVD is similar. Took two attempts last night to bring up the rip screen. First time it knew the disc was there but was waiting for me to start the process. On this subject, I know 18 has a new movie db but the best one on the planet is MyMovies and its available to use. Not free I know but at least it comes up with usable titles.

Little 'features' related to the above would be things like

Showing confirmation of ripping in Theatre View
Some kind of crash reporting would be a major update, as this kind of thing makes me nervous when recommending it to customers.
Better integration generally with Theatre View

So at the moment I want to see MC17 work reliably before I spend more money. MC18 seems to be adding features again. Don't get me wrong, I love MC, but some basic refinement is long overdue rather than constant addition of 'enthusiast' features. Enthusiasts may be happy to play and tinker. My customers just want it to work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:27:05 am »

So at the moment I want to see MC17 work reliably before I spend more money. MC18 seems to be adding features again. Don't get me wrong, I love MC, but some basic refinement is long overdue rather than constant addition of 'enthusiast' features. Enthusiasts may be happy to play and tinker. My customers just want it to work.
We're finished with development on MC17.  At this point, we would only fix a "show stopper" problem.

In the future, if you have problems, please report them in separate threads with some details.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:39:16 am »

3) MC will crash for no obvious reason. This has happened continuously from 15 onwards on different machines, some which are only running MC on top of the native OS. No plug-ins or skins. Everything default.

This isn't normal.

Please use Help > Logging and send the crash report to logs at jriver dot com.  Include a link to this thread.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:12:03 am »

To fix your bluray issues you need to provide some information on what hardware you have. What CPU? What video card etc. It would also be helpful if you provided a benchmark score of the computer under the Help menu.

Also what other applications are running? What codec packs do you use and anything else relevant you can think of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up