INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow TV channel start and change  (Read 6485 times)

Grenache

• World Citizen
Slow TV channel start and change
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:05:15 am »

When I start to watch a TV channel it takes about 10-12 seconds before the channel shows. Same thing when I change channel using the OSD, ranging between 8-10 seconds. When using WMC or the WinTV app (that came with my Hauppauge HVR-5500) the channel change happens much faster.

This is not something new, but I have the impression that the delay has gotten worse since MC17.

The tuner is using DVB-C.

Could it be bad compatibility between MC and my tuner? Or is this something that can be optimized in the future?

Grenache

• World Citizen
Re: Slow TV channel start and change
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:30:54 am »

Maybe I should add that I no longer have the WinTV application installed nor WMC as I'm now on Windows 8.

Also, this is happening when watching on the server. I can't even watch live TV on my client (but that's a subject for another thread :)).

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:29 am »

8 - 10 seconds is not typical.  I do not know what could be causing it.  Maybe Windows 8 has something different.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:47:50 am »

8 - 10 seconds is not typical.

Thanks, Yaobing. Even if that's not good news, it's good to know that the delay isn't typical. The HVR-5500 is the flagship tuner from Hauppauge on the Danish market, and it works perfectly with WinTV and WMC, but maybe I should buy a different one.

Maybe Windows 8 has something different.

You and Jim seem to accuse Windows 8 for at lot of bad things happening in MC18. :) More seriously, I can assure you both that I haven't got any problems with MC that weren't there before my recent switch from Windows 7. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge (although, after 7-8 years with MC, I'm not a complete novice), but it sure ain't the fault of Windows 8. I'm not too crazy about it either, but that's an entirely different matter...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 10:05:58 am »

You and Jim seem to accuse Windows 8 for at lot of bad things happening in MC18. :)

I said that only because there is no other explanation and Windows 8 is fairly new.  If you say the problem is already there before you switched to Windows 8, I believe you. :)

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:01:12 am »

If you say the problem is already there before you switched to Windows 8, I believe you. :)

Thank you for your confidence. :)

If 8-10 seconds delay isn't typical could you give me an idea of what to expect? On my system, changing channels in MC has always been much slower than in WinTV or WMC, both with my current tuner and former cheaper tuners. As we've seen a lot of progress on the TV-side of MC in the last couple of years, I've been hoping that it was only a matter of time before this also got better. But if I understand you correctly I should stop hoping, because this has nothing to do with MC? :'(

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 11:38:17 am »

It depends on individual devices and systems.  On my system, starting a channel takes about 3 - 4 seconds; switching channels takes less than 2 seconds.  Some people may experience longer delays.  I would say it likely will take 3 - 5 seconds.  I think Matt once experienced tuning longer than 10 seconds (so I changed time-out from 10 seconds to 20 seconds) - that probably was due to weak signal.

audioriver

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 08:02:45 am »

Similar problems with a Hauppauge HVR-4000. With MC, TV start-up and channel change are quite slow. Even worse is the channel scan, for a 21-69 UHF frequency DVB-T search, it can take up to 10 minutes (thorough scan disabled). The card performs significantly faster with other applications.

I've now noticed in 18.0.90 when changing the channel in RO mode, the audio will switch but the image freezes to the previous channel. ROHQ doesn't have this problem.

edit: switching to standard view and back to display, blanks the video in ROHQ too.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:30:03 am »

Similar problems with a Hauppauge HVR-4000. With MC, TV start-up and channel change are quite slow. Even worse is the channel scan, for a 21-69 UHF frequency DVB-T search, it can take up to 10 minutes (thorough scan disabled). The card performs significantly faster with other applications.

I've now noticed in 18.0.90 when changing the channel in RO mode, the audio will switch but the image freezes to the previous channel. ROHQ doesn't have this problem.

edit: switching to standard view and back to display, blanks the video in ROHQ too.

Do you have hardware acceleration option on?  Could it be the same issue as this one:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75907.0

audioriver

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:18 am »

Do you have hardware acceleration option on?  Could it be the same issue as this one:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75907.0

Switching acceleration off fixes these problems (slowness excepted). With acc.on, RO does not work (previous channel video). I tried ROHQ with acc.on and it now seems to work again (?). Using Custom mode (LAV 0.54.1) seems to fix everything.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 11:13:29 am »

Using Custom mode (LAV 0.54.1) seems to fix everything.

Could you explain this in more detail? Is this in "Video mode" > "Advanced" > "Custom"?

audioriver

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 11:22:17 am »

Exactly, but you have to manually install the latest LAV Filters in your system. If you also want to use madVR, do the following:

1. Go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\madvr and run install.bat. This will make available madVR to all applications (doing a similar thing with the LAV folder inside MC's Plugins folder causes problems and is not recommended).

2. "Start with the following settings - Red October Standard" and add madVR as the video renderer.

Alternatively, skip step 1 and manually install madVR as well.

Windows 10 Pro x64

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 05:37:01 am »

I have the same problem in Windows 7. I raised it in a previous topic I believe.

Best regards,
Mikkel
Pages: [1]   Go Up