INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Series Shuffle Unwatched Question  (Read 2267 times)

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
TV Series Shuffle Unwatched Question
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:44:44 am »

Have a question regarding the shuffle play when watching TV series episodes. Say for instance I watch a couple episodes under 'shuffle all' play, then take a break to watch them later. Is it possible, once I resume episode viewing to see only the ones that have yet to be watched? My brother has been asking me this question since he likes the shuffle play options, but wants the ability to resume shuffle play without seeing the episodes that he's already seen (I recently got him into the world of HTPC). Is this possible?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV Series Shuffle Unwatched Question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:27:07 am »

Sure it is. You'll have to add a rule for your views that excludes episodes watched.

Options - Theater View - Items to Show - The View you want to change
Hit "Set rules for file display" and "Add New Rule"
Here you can add things like "Number Plays" is less than 1.

Or you could be a bit more advanced and add a new library field with an expression that only hides the episodes that have a Number Plays above 0 as well as the bookmark is above 90% of the duration. This will be more accurate, as the Number Plays triggers as soon as you've watched over half the episode. So, if you stop watching after half and go back in that view later, the episode will not be shown. I'm in the process of doing this my self, as the Number Plays approach is a bit limited.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:35:38 pm »

Hmm sounds quite interesting. Looks like I may try the advanced route and see how that works out. My brother and I have tons of TV show episodes so it will be great to be able to continue the shuffle play without seeing the ones we already watched.

On to the experiment bench!

EDIT: Okay so testing with a couple of episodes adding the 'Number Plays' rule, the eps do disappear after being played, so now the next question is, once all the episodes have been watched, they will all disappear so how would one restore them to watch again?

As for expressions, I will have to study how to do them since they are a bit more complicated to learn. Could possibly make the exact rule such as hide the episode once watched, and when all have been seen, reset the watched counter to zero to start again.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »

EDIT: Okay so testing with a couple of episodes adding the 'Number Plays' rule, the eps do disappear after being played, so now the next question is, once all the episodes have been watched, they will all disappear so how would one restore them to watch again?

You'll have to remove the Number Plays. This can not be done directly. You'll have to add an expression field with "=[Number Plays]" as an expression and update the new field. The new field will automatically update the Number Plays. This is not the approach you would use most of the time though. Most normal thing to do is probably to the Not Watched view, instead editing the existing one. So you can just switch view to watch them all again. Most of my views I as duplicates. One as default and one Not Watched variant.

As for expressions, I will have to study how to do them since they are a bit more complicated to learn. Could possibly make the exact rule such as hide the episode once watched, and when all have been seen, reset the watched counter to zero to start again.
That will be a challenge, as MC does have limited or no tools to check tag values for multiple media and to update values based on this result. I think what you want it currently impossible. Perhaps it could be possible with a more semi-automatic approach. I don't know.

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:57 pm »

Nothing's impossible, I am sure there's a way, just have to find it. Since using expressions is somewhat a programming language of sorts I am sure something can be done. Either way I will study up on it and try it out. Should've taken up programming  :)

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:10 pm »

There are no expressions that provide Assignment to a field.

You could use global variables to count the number of episodes watched, and the number of total episodes, and trigger off of that.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:21:21 am »

You could use global variables to count the number of episodes watched, and the number of total episodes, and trigger off of that.

Really? I did not think that was possible. Do you have an example for total episodes and total episodes watched? I would love to try this.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 04:50:04 am »

Have a look at the thread referenced in our earlier conversation.  Its a HowTo on calculating average ratings.  The same concept will apply.  You increment a series-related counter for each unique episode and a total episodes counter.  These are identical to the total tracks and ratings accumulator done in the example.  This is all done during the file filtering stage.

In the view presentation stage, you can do what you want with those calculated values.

I just recently posted an example of how to add to the smartlist and view to further refine mark_h's examples.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 05:01:45 am »

I remember that thread. I'll have a look at it. Thanks

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 01:45:40 am »

Good info...looks like I will have to look for that thread as well and have a read on it. It will be interesting to see what workable solution can come from this.

MrHaugen

Pages: [1]   Go Up