INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smartlists in Music Jukebox - how do you do an -OR-?  (Read 1499 times)

BillCz

smartlists in Music Jukebox - how do you do an -OR-?
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:23:33 am »

I am trying to create a smartlist using Rating and a locally defined tag called Rating-sub (which has values of 1, 2 or 3).  I want it to choose all songs with Rating of 4 or 5, or a Rating of 3 and Rating-sub of 2 or 3.  After some anguish, I finally found out I can choose Custom in the first drop down for a rule, then type what I want.  However, once you do this and click Ok then go back to edit it, it has converted it to the Form boxes, and it doesn't do the conversion properly (assuming I wrote the custom rule properly).  If you mouse-over the margin of a rule in the Form view, it says use "(" for -OR-.  I tried that - doesn't work.  Also, does that mean "(" is both for grouping and -OR-?  Confusing.  Anyways, here is what I put in the Custom field:
Rating=>3 or (Rating=3 and Rating-sub=>1)
As I said above, this doesn't work right, and it doesn't convert into the Form view right.  So, I figured, I'll outsmart it - I'll write the rule so there are no -OR-'s involved.  So I tried the custom rule
Rating=>2  -Rating-sub=1
That didn't work either!   Is the smartlist functionality in MJ 14 full of bugs, or am I missing something?

I have Music Jukebox 14.0.166.  I did a very similar smartlist years ago in an earlier version of MJ, and I don't remember these difficulties.  Have they removed some features in v.14?  When I edit this older version, it pulls up a Form view of the rules, and there is no -OR- indication shown, yet it must be using an -OR- function internally, since it is working right.
Also, is there any online support for MJ (other than this forum!)?  All I can see is Media Center support.
Thanks for your help,
Bill

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: smartlists in Music Jukebox - how do you do an -OR-?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:08 pm »

You need to group using AND and OR:

([Rating]=4,5 or ([Rating]=3 [Rating-sub]=2,3))

which looks like:

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

BillCz

Re: smartlists in Music Jukebox - how do you do an -OR-?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:47:47 pm »

Thank you for your reply.  It led to the solution to my problem.  I did as you indicated, but that only brought up items with 3 sub 2 or 4 stars.  However, that was much better than I had been able to do!!  I changed the "is x; y" entries in your solution to "is greater than (x-1)", and that worked for me.
So my problem is solved.  Thanks again!
Bill
P.S. Sorry for the late reply.  I thought I would get an email if someone replied.
Pages: [1]   Go Up